Can a Burr Grinder make coffee taste LESS fresh that pre-ground?

simon_a6

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I now own a De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder and use it here in the UK for my Tesco Finest Java Sumatra coffee.

When I use their pre-ground coffee, it tastes lovely. Strong, almost chocolatey, with such a wonderful aftertaste. It really lingers.

I have tried two bags of their beans of this same coffee, ground it in my KG79, and the flavour is just not the same. It's fresh, but unlike the pre-ground where I could pick out the taste in a lineup of coffees; I couldn't with this result.

Has anyone come across this kind if problem?
I'm using a cafetiere, on medium or coarse ground (bearing in mind the pre-ground is medium for all makers).

It also doesn't look as dark once I have ground it. Does pre-ground go darker over the course of a few weeks, even when air tight?

Hope someone can offer some help.

Simon

simon_a6

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
That's what I would have said.
I tried a completely different brand today, but the same thing occurs.

Even down to one of our local "discount retailers" own version of Strong 'strength 5' coffee is better than these two coffees.

It's a puzzle.

I could go buy a pack of the cheaper strength 5, and it will be better than either of these two "branded fabulous coffee".

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is since it isn't a conical burr grinder, it may be "scorching" the beans a bit from heat plus static clumps etc (from looking at reviews). De'Longhi normally makes great stuff, I have the Bar32 which for the money is incredible.

DirtyDave

Did you buy the grinder new?
Or is it used?
Take the grinder apart, and check the condition of the burrs.
The leading edges of the grinder plates should be very sharp.
It's not possible that pre-ground can be tastier than fresh ground.
Good luck.

simon_a6

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought it brand new.
I cannot take it apart as it will void the warranty.
It is possible for pre-ground to be tastier, if the grinder grinds the beans to fast and maybe burns them.
I am testiment to the fact that pre-ground CAN BE tastier than fresh ground.
This coffee in a line up of mugs, I could pick out.
But when I have made it fresh in various grinds, it tastes like cheap coffee.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Your grinder is destroying anything good the coffee has to offer. In this case pre-ground may taste better. Most think a grinder is a grinder is a grinder. There are vast differences among grinders and most cost what they do for good reason.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
It has to be the grinder, that's a flat grinder which in general is blahhh for espresso as they will "scorch" the beans and grinds with heat build up. You need a good conical burr grinder, for the money the Breville Smart Grinder is hard to beat especially once you get the settings right and play around with the shims etc, I'll put it up against grinders costing a few hundred more.

Latest posts