Grinding a full pound at home. Which grinder?

mummer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a newly addicted toddy person, and I would like to find a grinder that can quickly grind a full pound, ideally in one go. I did buy a Baratza Preciso today, but am unhappy with the amount of mess (mostly from static) and the meager 5oz grounds container. I realize that there may be no home machine that can do what I want, and I'm willing to pay for a commercial grade grinder if there is one that can do this. Is it insane to get a Bunn G1? Are there any other options? Any gentle advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Nothing wrong buying a shop grinder, used of course... Craigslist would save shipping, they are heavy and bulky. Grindmasters go for less than bunns, the burr sets are different crushing vs cutting. I bought a Taiwan shop grinder and it can grind 1lb in a minute, which works if your a home roaster. Mine has the crushing style burrs, can't comment on the taste difference.

mummer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You should only grind prior to brewing. The notion that anyone who thought enough to buy a Preciso would do otherwise is baffling.

Coffee begins to release aromatic oils and gasses into the atmosphere the moment it is ground. Every second that the aromatics/flavors are going into the air, they are not going into your cup. Use your awesome grinder as it is intended, one brew at a time.

It's not "Which grinder...?" The question is "Should you?" The answer would be, "No."

John,

You did read that I'm using a Toddy? I would be baffled if you aren't familiar with the process, but just in case, here is a url:

toddycafe.com

I know it's the opposite end of the spectrum from pulling fresh shots, but it serves a purpose for me. The entire ground pound goes immediately into the Toddy for cold brewing. That's why I want to grind the entire pound at once, at home. So there is minimum delay after grinding. Do you perhaps have any suggestions as to a grinder that can effectively do this?

Last edited: