Breville BCG800XL Burr Grinder / Cuisinart EM100 question

bob_loblaw

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm relatively new to this coffee thing. I've been lurking on this board for months, as well as on coffeegeek, so, while I'm new, I'm not overly ignorant.

My ultimate goal is to make a fantastic americano 80% of the time, and an even better double shot of espresso 20% of the time.

I currently use the above Breville BCG800XL Burr Smart Grinder (modified to include extra shims in the grinder head to produce a finer grind than factory) [ search on amazon for this model no, I can't post links until I have 5 or more posts ] and a Cuisinart EM-100 espresso maker [ search on amazon for this model no, I can't post links until I have 5 or more posts ]. This machine wasn't my first choice, but I got it in a trade for a Bosch Tassimo I had that I felt was junk.

I feel that the espresso machine is not up to par. It seems like it doesn't always produce the same temperature water, however, I'll say that it is generally relatively consistent. I'm wondering of the grinder may be a bit of a waste of money as well. Amazon reviews on this grinder are almost all very positive and I'm satisfied with the unit, however, I'm no expert, and I know Breville have a reputation of making brewing equipment that's good, but not the best. But perhaps I'm just listening to too many snobs with multi-kilobuck machines. Anyway, I have the grind and tamp down to pulling a double shot in somewhere between 20 and 22 seconds, 80% of the time.

So, my main question is, should I try a new espresso machine, or a new grinder first? My second question is related somewhat to the first one, is this grinder a cheap junk grinder with a fancy computer screen, or is it a comparatively decent unit?

Thanks for any input you have. And, coffee on!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'd say your goal should be to make the best espresso you can as often as possible... great espresso will lead to great drinks period! Your grinder isn't the weakest link as it gets decent reviews. BUT don't look to Amazon for die hard fanatic reviews as those are typically vague/across-the-board type reviews for the masses.

You usually get what you pay for in life. Breville is getting better with each new product, but Cuisinart, DeLonghi, etc. really aren't.

You don't mention what coffee/level of freshness is being used. That's a very important part of the equation and often overlooked. Don't get caught up in time/volume when extracting. It's OK to get you in the ballpark, but taste should be the #1 priority and you will quickly see what works and what doesn't with your technique, equipment, etc.

Last edited:

eagerbilt

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bob, Chris from Canada over here.

Let me first say that I'm no pro at pulling espresso shots. I have been at it for a couple years now with (very) bottom-of-the-line machines, all the while not putting much of an effort into learning the "art" of it all...until recently.

What lead me to your post was the mention of your Breville Burr Grinder. I invested in a used Breville Cafe Roma espresso machine about a month ago...got it for the lowly price tag of $40 from an older couple who received it as a gift...they used it only a handful of times and it sat on their kitchen counter for 6 months, so they decided to sell via Kijiji.

Anyways, I love this little machine so much that I just went and purchased a brand new one yesterday from Future Shop and I'm giving my $40 to my Dad as he's a coffee fan as well. The Cafe Roma has these dual wall filter baskets that take the effort straight out of getting crema on top of your shot. And Future Shop has them on sale right now for $149 (reg. $179). Go grab one before they're gone....I promise you won't be disappointed. I mean, the Cafe Roma is no Franke Sinph
onia $25,000 snob machine, but you sound a little like me...it'll also be the perfect match for your Breville Burr Grinder. That exact grinder will be my next purchase as I'm alternating between grinding my own with my $10 Black & Decker blade grinder (and yes, still getting lots of crema) and buying pre-ground espresso from the store.

Anyways, hope that helps, Bob...the Cafe Roma machine along with that burr grinder of yours is a small investment with big results.