New to the world of Single Serve Coffee makers, advice needed for a gift

CoolhandLocke

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, as the title says I'm new to the world of Single Cup Coffee makers and as I'm looking to get one for my mother as a Christmas gift I could really use some honest opinions. My mom used to drink coffee but has a leg/hip issue that makes it painful to stand on her feet sometimes, depending on what kind of day she's having. Long story short, she drinks iced coffee drinks every day but has mentioned really wanting to go back to coffee (you can always ice it) and using a single serve machine as it would be easier for her to deal with and she won't have to be on her feet long if she's having a bad day.

I've been researching Tassimo and Keurig for the better part of 2 weeks, and we had decided on a Tassimo it makes every drink she likes vs the Keurig that just does coffee, tea, and a few others. It was a pretty tough decision as she liked the fact you can use your own with Keurig, but the Tassimo is much more versitile so we were going to go with it.... until I saw the Dolce Gusto lol. It "seems" like the Dolce does the exact same thing as the Tassimo, but looks a whole lot cooler. Assuming the the coffee cup/pod prices are about the same what are the major differences between the two? I had heard comments regarding Tassimo's cream, and lack of selection but have yet to dig to deep into the Dolce machines. As they seem to do the same thing and make the same type of drinks, I'm actually pretty torn between the two companies at the moment.

Just wanted to get a few opinions from people that are knowledgeable about the subject before I drop 150-200 bucks on a machine. I think she'd be happy with either one, but wanted to hear from the experts:coffee:

Gmg_3

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have never used the dolce. My have used the keurig and tassimo extensively. Both are good but I give the edge to keurig for selection, price per serving and Customer service. My keurig broke after 4 years of everyday use, keurig mailed me a new one no questions asked. Only advantage for tassimo is the latte/cap pods. I really liked the nespresso machines but the price per serving is $1. Look for a store like Williams sonomia that let's you try them .