Drip Coffee Maker Opinions

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
I'm looking for a new drip coffee maker, and am interested in what the experts on the forums think is the best bang for your buck. I currently have a Hamilton Beach Stay & Go, and I can't wait to see that thing go. As a coffee maker, I guess it's okay. Where it fails miserably is with the carafe that leaks all over the place. Three years with it, and the drip is only getting worse. So with that being said, I'm ready for something new.

What I'm looking for:
  • Thermal carafe
  • Minimum 10 cup capacity
  • Preferably aluminum design, but might settle for black plastic
  • Must make HOT coffee
  • Nice design (it will be sitting on the counter beside my Bodum Columbia French Press, my TBD mill grinder, and my Cuisineart CPK-17 kettle)
I'd also like a 'pause brew' function if possible, but that's not a deal breaker. Oh and small batch setting would be really nice, but again, not a deal breaker.

I do not want the following:
  • Built in grinder
  • Glass carafe
  • Heating plate
I'm neutral on whether or not it has a removable water reservoir. I also couldn't care less if it had a clock or programmable functions, or what type of filter is uses. I'm used to flat-bottom filters, but I've heard that cone filters may be better.

I just need a basic coffee maker that makes a decent cup of coffee, and is easy on the eyes. I'm willing to spend up to $200, but would prefer to keep it in the $100-$150 range if at all possible. I've read lots of reviews, and the unit that sticks out for me is the Krups KT600 Silver Art Collection.
Krups.jpg

Overall the reviews are pretty good on this unit. It doesn't have a lot of functionality, but it's pretty and it sounds like it makes a decently hot cup of coffee. Anyone have any opinions on this unit? Or is there another unit you could recommend that would meet my requirements?

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
No one has an opinion for me? Another option I'm contemplating is the Melita:

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-10-Cup-Thermal-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B004M17K6K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_3
Melita_.jpg

I would prefer a carafe that has a lever to activate the pour (I don't like having to twist the top to be able to pour), but I won't let that be my determining factor. I need to get my Christmas list together, so I'm hoping someone gave give me some input here. I don't want to spend money on junk again (Hamilton Beach).

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
FWIW I look for function over form anytime. Look for something capable of giving you proper/consistent brew temperature or you won't have great tasting coffee. Furthermore, don't bother with Amazon reviews for sage advice, as most of them are hardly coffeegeeks that truly understand where great coffee comes from.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
It's Technivorm then and everyone else. Granted, they are a little more expensive. But the extra $$ is going to quality of cup, not fanciness of machine. if you do want a drip brewer, it's the best you can get.

Nearly all home coffee makers are not capable of brewing at the correct temperature at all, or throughout the brew. They look fancy, but don't make the grade where it counts.

9924-300.jpg

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion John P! I think that might be a little hardcore for me though :) I didn't end up getting a machine for Christmas, but I did go out yesterday and purchase the Krups Silver Art Collection machine. I just made my first pot and so far, so good. My collection is coming along...

CoffeeCollection.jpg

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
Nice "looking" equipment... hopefully function is as good as form in that case.
Yeah, the reason I went with this machine is because it met all of my criteria except for the small batch setting. The pause-brew function is great...no button required...all you need to do is pull the pot out and it stops!

DennyCrane said:
Thermal carafe
Minimum 10 cup capacity
Preferably aluminum design, but might settle for black plastic
Must make HOT coffee
Nice design (it will be sitting on the counter beside my Bodum Columbia French Press, my TBD mill grinder, and my Cuisineart CPK-17 kettle)

I'd also like a 'pause brew' function if possible, but that's not a deal breaker. Oh and small batch setting would be really nice, but again, not a deal breaker.

I do not want the following:
  • Built in grinder
  • Glass carafe
  • Heating plate
So far I'm pleased with it, although I've only made 1 pot with it. It definitely makes hot coffee, and it looks great. I think $199 is a little steep for what you get, but I'd buy it again so it's not like I have any regrets.

Kind of surprised you didn't go this route...

Breville

Nice look and great reviews as well.
I hadn't come across that machine actually. It looks great, although there are complaints about the temperature as well as the grind being too coarse. The reason I didn't want an all-in-one system is because the likelihood of me wanting an espresso machine one day is good, so I wanted to invest in a good independent burr grinder now. Other than that it would be a contender for sure.

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
I don't understand why anybody would bother with pause brew because the first half of the brew cycle is going to be more concentrated than the last half. Why throw off the balance?
Agreed. But sometimes I may need to interrupt the brew because I'm in a rush or whatnot. I could probably count on one hand how many times this has actually happened to me, but it's nice to know the option is there.

One thing that disappoints me about this machine is the carafe. I read reviews that stated it didn't drip, but every time I've poured coffee it results on a small drip running down the side. This was a big problem with my last machine, so I specifically looked for one that wouldn't do this. I'm almost considering returning it for this reason alone.

AndyJ

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Denny, I just discovered this site tonight and saw your post. If you decide to return your Krups machine I would highly recommend the Bunn A-10 commercial/home brewer. I bought this brewer after extensive research myself. It's not available with a thermal carafe but buying a quality (separate) thermal carafe is the option I took. It brews at optimum temperature. No pause feature, but you won't need it. It brews 10 cups in 3 minutes. This think is built like a tank in USA with all serviceable replacement parts available. You will not be disappointed with the cup of coffee you'll get from this brewer. Whatever it is that you do, good luck!

Barkybear

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have purchased a commercial BUNN coffee maker , keeps the water at the perfect brewing temp, for anytime i wanna make coffee, and its fast too, just 3 mins to fresh brewed , wonderful cup of coffee. believe me i didnt want some fancy ass thng that took me 3 hours to make coffee in the morning, filter, my folgers coffee and a pot of fresh cold water..and in 3 mins hot fresh coffee!!!

CuppaCoffee

Feb 28, 2012
NY
Visit site
The Bunn Velocity Brew STX 10-Cup Coffee Brewer, Graphite Black would have made a pretty good match for all your requirements. Very modern sleek look, would be perfect on a kitchen countertop. I have been doing my research on this item and have read many great reviews.
116824.JPG

Some great features listed:
  • Brews 4-10 cups in about 4 minutes
  • Double wall, vacuum insulated thermal carafe keeps coffee warm for up
    to 2 hours
  • Unique sprayhead ensures even, complete coffee flavor
    extraction
  • Stainless steel internal hot water tank keeps water heated to optimal
    brewing temperature of 200 degrees F
  • 3-Year warranty
  • Includes 25 filters

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "CuppaCoffee" (Rose)

So, are you thinking of selling this coffee maker on your on-line store when you get it up and running? You said you've done some research on it. What feature do you find most useful (or better) than the others you've looked at? What's the average price, based on what you've found?

Rose

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
One thing that disappoints me about this machine is the carafe. I read reviews that stated it didn't drip, but every time I've poured coffee it results on a small drip running down the side.
I thought I updated this thread, but guess not. Shortly after purchasing this machine I contacted Krups about the drip. The promptly sent me a new carafe without question, and no fee required for shipping. I now have two. The new one still drips a bit, but not as bad as the first.

But to be perfectly honest, I only use the drip machine once every few months anyway. I'm obsessed with the french press method, so I really only use the drip machine if I'm making coffee for more than just me.

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
The Bunn Velocity Brew STX 10-Cup Coffee Brewer, Graphite Black would have made a pretty good match for all your requirements. Very modern sleek look, would be perfect on a kitchen countertop. I have been doing my research on this item and have read many great reviews.
View attachment 695

Some great features listed:
  • Brews 4-10 cups in about 4 minutes
  • Double wall, vacuum insulated thermal carafe keeps coffee warm for up
    to 2 hours
  • Unique sprayhead ensures even, complete coffee flavor
    extraction
  • Stainless steel internal hot water tank keeps water heated to optimal
    brewing temperature of 200 degrees F
  • 3-Year warranty
  • Includes 25 filters
Sounds like an interesting machine, but I don't know that I'd be interested in a pre-heated water resevoir. I don't like the idea of it running all the time.