Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Drip Coffee Maker Opinions

I'm looking for a new drip coffee maker, and am interested in what the experts on the forums think is the best bang for your buck. I currently have a Hamilton Beach Stay & Go, and I can't wait to see that thing go. As a coffee maker, I guess it's okay. Where it fails miserably is with the carafe that leaks all over the place. Three years with it, and the drip is only getting worse. So with that being said, I'm ready for something new.

What I'm looking for:
    • Thermal carafe
    • Minimum 10 cup capacity
    • Preferably aluminum design, but might settle for black plastic
    • Must make HOT coffee
    • Nice design (it will be sitting on the counter beside my Bodum Columbia French Press, my TBD mill grinder, and my Cuisineart CPK-17 kettle)
    I'd also like a 'pause brew' function if possible, but that's not a deal breaker. Oh and small batch setting would be really nice, but again, not a deal breaker.

I do not want the following:
    • Built in grinder
    • Glass carafe
    • Heating plate
    I'm neutral on whether or not it has a removable water reservoir. I also couldn't care less if it had a clock or programmable functions, or what type of filter is uses. I'm used to flat-bottom filters, but I've heard that cone filters may be better.

I just need a basic coffee maker that makes a decent cup of coffee, and is easy on the eyes. I'm willing to spend up to $200, but would prefer to keep it in the $100-$150 range if at all possible. I've read lots of reviews, and the unit that sticks out for me is the Krups KT600 Silver Art Collection.

Overall the reviews are pretty good on this unit. It doesn't have a lot of functionality, but it's pretty and it sounds like it makes a decently hot cup of coffee. Anyone have any opinions on this unit? Or is there another unit you could recommend that would meet my requirements?

No one has an opinion for me? Another option I'm contemplating is the Melita:

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-10-Cup...pd_sim_sbs_k_3

I would prefer a carafe that has a lever to activate the pour (I don't like having to twist the top to be able to pour), but I won't let that be my determining factor. I need to get my Christmas list together, so I'm hoping someone gave give me some input here. I don't want to spend money on junk again (Hamilton Beach).

FWIW I look for function over form anytime. Look for something capable of giving you proper/consistent brew temperature or you won't have great tasting coffee. Furthermore, don't bother with Amazon reviews for sage advice, as most of them are hardly coffeegeeks that truly understand where great coffee comes from.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

It's Technivorm then and everyone else. Granted, they are a little more expensive. But the extra $$ is going to quality of cup, not fanciness of machine. if you do want a drip brewer, it's the best you can get.

Nearly all home coffee makers are not capable of brewing at the correct temperature at all, or throughout the brew. They look fancy, but don't make the grade where it counts.

Drip Coffee Maker Opinions-9924-300.jpg
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Thanks for the suggestion John P! I think that might be a little hardcore for me though I didn't end up getting a machine for Christmas, but I did go out yesterday and purchase the Krups Silver Art Collection machine. I just made my first pot and so far, so good. My collection is coming along...

Nice "looking" equipment... hopefully function is as good as form in that case. Kind of surprised you didn't go this route...

Breville

Nice look and great reviews as well.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Nice "looking" equipment... hopefully function is as good as form in that case.
    Yeah, the reason I went with this machine is because it met all of my criteria except for the small batch setting. The pause-brew function is great...no button required...all you need to do is pull the pot out and it stops!

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Thermal carafe
    Minimum 10 cup capacity
    Preferably aluminum design, but might settle for black plastic
    Must make HOT coffee
    Nice design (it will be sitting on the counter beside my Bodum Columbia French Press, my TBD mill grinder, and my Cuisineart CPK-17 kettle)

I'd also like a 'pause brew' function if possible, but that's not a deal breaker. Oh and small batch setting would be really nice, but again, not a deal breaker.

I do not want the following:
    • Built in grinder
    • Glass carafe
    • Heating plate
    So far I'm pleased with it, although I've only made 1 pot with it. It definitely makes hot coffee, and it looks great. I think $199 is a little steep for what you get, but I'd buy it again so it's not like I have any regrets.

Kind of surprised you didn't go this route...

Breville

Nice look and great reviews as well.
    I hadn't come across that machine actually. It looks great, although there are complaints about the temperature as well as the grind being too coarse. The reason I didn't want an all-in-one system is because the likelihood of me wanting an espresso machine one day is good, so I wanted to invest in a good independent burr grinder now. Other than that it would be a contender for sure.

I don't understand why anybody would bother with pause brew because the first half of the brew cycle is going to be more concentrated than the last half. Why throw off the balance?

I don't understand why anybody would bother with pause brew because the first half of the brew cycle is going to be more concentrated than the last half. Why throw off the balance?
    Agreed. But sometimes I may need to interrupt the brew because I'm in a rush or whatnot. I could probably count on one hand how many times this has actually happened to me, but it's nice to know the option is there.

One thing that disappoints me about this machine is the carafe. I read reviews that stated it didn't drip, but every time I've poured coffee it results on a small drip running down the side. This was a big problem with my last machine, so I specifically looked for one that wouldn't do this. I'm almost considering returning it for this reason alone.

Denny, I just discovered this site tonight and saw your post. If you decide to return your Krups machine I would highly recommend the Bunn A-10 commercial/home brewer. I bought this brewer after extensive research myself. It's not available with a thermal carafe but buying a quality (separate) thermal carafe is the option I took. It brews at optimum temperature. No pause feature, but you won't need it. It brews 10 cups in 3 minutes. This think is built like a tank in USA with all serviceable replacement parts available. You will not be disappointed with the cup of coffee you'll get from this brewer. Whatever it is that you do, good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links