Does anyone know if this will work?

kupojoe

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I understand that the optimum water temperature for brewing coffee is 200 degrees + - 5 degrees. I have a cheap automatic drip coffee maker that I highly doubt the water is getting up to the 200 degrees because I can drink the coffee right away after the brewing is complete. Anyways......I was wondering if anyone knows or has any insight about heating the water to the recommended 200 degrees in a separate pot/kettle and then pouring it into the coffee maker's reservoir and turn on the coffee maker in order to make a decent cup of coffee. I know there are coffee makers in the market that will heat the water to 200 degrees but those coffee makers cost a lot more than what I am willing to spend at the moment.
Does anyone else do this or know if it will work?

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Kupojoe -

It sounds like you have growing passion for quality coffee. If you are going to boil water anways, why not look into a manual brewing method? A pour over or french press is very economical and that way you would be eliminating the unnecessary step of adding water to your machine and potentially yield a much better cup of coffee.

If the machine has a reservoir it heats up, adding preheated water shouldn't* be a problem. I offer to no warranties.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I too would pick the pour over method. Just boil the water then let it stand for a couple of minutes. That will be enough time for it to loose 5 to 10F. Then at that time start your pour over.

Wildeflower

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I think you would be way better off with a French press or a manual drip, like a chemex or a cone drip system if you're going to boil water anyway. All of these can be had for really reasonable prices. I would be really worried about adding super hot water to the plastic water reservoir of a drip machine. Anything from melting it to chemical leaching because the plastic is not rated for high temps could happen.