Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kanyevil View Post
    Regular K-cups for the win.

- KanyEvil
    So you don't mind that it's $15 -$16 for a box of 24 K-Cups at some online retailers or $10 a box at the grocery store? That's a bit expensive. You'll save more money buying by the bag and with the Eko-Brew basket I get a much richer and more satisfying cup of coffee than with anything available in a K-Cup. In fact, I even brewed a K-Cup, a Tully's House Blend Decaf, the other day and it tasted flat to me. But coffee, like wine is subjective and there is no one hard and fast right one. We each drink what we like.

Quote Originally Posted by Zecryphon View Post
    So you don't mind that it's $15 -$16 for a box of 24 K-Cups at some online retailers or $10 a box at the grocery store? That's a bit expensive. You'll save more money buying by the bag and with the Eko-Brew basket I get a much richer and more satisfying cup of coffee than with anything available in a K-Cup. In fact, I even brewed a K-Cup, a Tully's House Blend Decaf, the other day and it tasted flat to me. But coffee, like wine is subjective and there is no one hard and fast right one. We each drink what we like.
    Just curious, what model of Keurig do you have? I've been toying with the idea of buying an Eko-Brew filter, but I'm nervous because the Keurig brand filter produced less than satisfactory results with my machine.

Ingenious alternative

My research has discovered a unique alternative to My K-Cup and it is especially nice because it allows Keurig users to reduce waste by reusing the little pods. It's pretty ingenious, allowing the user to clean the "disposable" pod, insert their favorite coffee grounds, apply a reusable lid and brew again. This reduces the cost of the coffee considerably, yet still allows the drinker to enjoy single-serving coffee, the reason they invested in the machine.
    His "my-kap.com" site is full of praise by customers and I think it is worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by unaffected View Post
    Just curious, what model of Keurig do you have? I've been toying with the idea of buying an Eko-Brew filter, but I'm nervous because the Keurig brand filter produced less than satisfactory results with my machine.
    I actually have two models, one at home and one at work. I use the one at work most often. At work I have the model B-31 or the Mini-Plus, no water pump on this model so that is a HUGE bonus, as the water pumps are the first things to malfunction on most Keurig machines and therefore the # 1 complaint people have about their Keurig machines.

At home I have the discontinued B40. That one does have a water pump but so far it has lasted 2-3 years. If you do buy an Eko-Brew filter, read the instructions. I had Starbucks grind me two bags of coffee and told them it was for a Keurig machine and the coffee has been weak, with a lot of sediment on the bottom. So when I go back there today to buy another bag, I am going to tell them to grind the bag on setting # 8 which is what Eko-Brew recommends on the videos at their website.

They also say if you buy your coffee at the grocery store, already ground, it should be fine as is. I have been thinking about grinding my own coffee and am thinking about getting the Kyocera Manual Ceramic Burr grinder. It costs $50 I think and looks like about all I need, right now. I love the Eko-Brew filter because it allows me to drink coffees I like that Keurig doesn't carry and with the price hike I just can't justify that kind of money for such mediocre coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Zecryphon View Post
    I actually have two models, one at home and one at work. I use the one at work most often. At work I have the model B-31 or the Mini-Plus, no water pump on this model so that is a HUGE bonus, as the water pumps are the first things to malfunction on most Keurig machines and therefore the # 1 complaint people have about their Keurig machines.

At home I have the discontinued B40. That one does have a water pump but so far it has lasted 2-3 years. If you do buy an Eko-Brew filter, read the instructions. I had Starbucks grind me two bags of coffee and told them it was for a Keurig machine and the coffee has been weak, with a lot of sediment on the bottom. So when I go back there today to buy another bag, I am going to tell them to grind the bag on setting # 8 which is what Eko-Brew recommends on the videos at their website.

They also say if you buy your coffee at the grocery store, already ground, it should be fine as is. I have been thinking about grinding my own coffee and am thinking about getting the Kyocera Manual Ceramic Burr grinder. It costs $50 I think and looks like about all I need, right now. I love the Eko-Brew filter because it allows me to drink coffees I like that Keurig doesn't carry and with the price hike I just can't justify that kind of money for such mediocre coffee.
    Thank you so much for your response, Zecryphon.

I also use two different models, one at work and one at home. At work we have the Mini, and the My K-Cup filter. I use store-bought Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and it produces a wonderful cup of coffee. The problem lies at home, where I have a Keurig Platinum (B70). I purchased another My K-Cup filter, and unfortunately using the same store-bought coffee I use at work results in a watery, tasteless cup of coffee. I'm really not sure what the problem is, but I think I will try the Eko-Brew and grinding coffee on setting #8 as you (and the Eko-Brew instructions) suggest.

Thank you again for your info!

Have you tried making your own caps? Wash out the k-cup just as you would for a my-kap and let it dry. Fill it and cover it with heavy-duty aluminum foil and make sure you crimp the edges with your finger. I had some issues with the foil splitting at the top and causing leaks (as is also described in the my-kap FAQs), and this can be fixed by using self-adhesive paper dots at least 1 inch in diameter. I haven't yet exceeded the life of a reused k-cup!

Super Moderator
    I don't have any experience using K-cups, but I know people who use both the store bought K-cups and also make their own using the K-cup filter. You may want to open a K-cup to see how fine the coffee is ground and then try to set your grinder to make the same size granuals. That way you'd have a better chance of making your own K-cups and getting the results you want.

Rose

Opinions vary, but my sense is that the Ekobrew might have the edge lately overall.
    Last edited by PinkRose; 04-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.

I guess I can't really speak for the Keurig and the K-Cup other than having a cup at a friends house, but I do have a GE Coffeemaker and the mesh filter is the only way to go. I didn't even know about mesh filters until I found this thing.

I'd say Ekobrew has the best option for a reusable k-cup concept. If you are willing to pay for the price, then it's worth the money. I like k-cups and have enjoyed it alot as it rids off the hassle to prepare a cup of coffee manually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links