reusable k- cups

jdstout

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I am wanting to get a reusable k-cup for my Keurig maker. There are several different brands and types out there. All of them have pros and cons about them, but I am trying to find the ones that work best and has the least problems with them. If any body has any expertize about them the information will be useful.

Blaster25

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure of the brand as I got it at the grocery store. It is just a little mesh filter with a flip-up lid. You just fill it and put it in just like a regular K-cup. I like the coffee a LOT better when I use this as opposed to the pre-measured cups.

Before that I tried the single cup maker that came with the machine (at least I think it came with it) but I like the little mesh cup better.

Hope this helps.

mopleez

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I love using the Keurig "My KCup" (I've tried one of the other ones - I think it was brown) But I ordered the larger basket-filter by Medelco that fits into the "My KCup" - a great combination - holds more grounds, rinses easier. I'll try to add a pix later.

-Phil
(Using Tapatalk)

mopleez

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I love using the Keurig "My KCup" (I've tried one of the other ones - I think it was brown) But I ordered the larger basket-filter by Medelco that fits into the "My KCup" - a great combination - holds more grounds, rinses easier. I'll try to add a pix later.

-Phil
(Using Tapatalk)

Here's the comparison of the filter that comes with the Keurig KCup and the (larger) Medelco filter.

-Phil
(Using Tapatalk)

Attachments

• Medelco on L, Keurig on R.jpg
    Medelco on L, Keurig on R.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,688

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the one made by Keurig...but I haven't tired it yet. I'm too chicken LOL

Don't be afraid. What came with your Keurig brewer is called "My K-Cup." It's a little wire mesh filter cup that sits inside of a plastic housing with a screw-on top. Some brewers come with these and some don't. I have a Keurig Mini Plus and that brewer doesn't come with one. So I borrowed the one from home. It's really easy to use.

You just fill the little wire basket with the desired amount of coffee, slip it into the grey holster and you're almost set to brew coffee. The one thing you have to do is take out the black pod holster that is in your Keurig machine now. It should have a little white arrow on it. I just slide my fingers under the sides of it and it pops right out. Now insert the My K-Cup in there and brew as you normally would. My problem with any replacement for the plastic K-Cups is cleaning the wire basket. I am at work and only have a kitchenette sink, nothing with a disposal or anything like that, so I hesitate to throw all the grounds down the sink.

I don't have a garden so I have no need for the used grounds, I just get as much out with a plastic knife, as I use the EkoBrew cup myself now and send what little is left over down the sink. I do get a lot of sediment when I brew a cup of coffee, but I think that has to do with the grind setting Starbucks used when they ground the beans I purchased. I've heard that with the EkoBrew, you should ask Starbucks to use a # 8 or # 9 grind. I don't know which is better. I told them it was for a Keurig, but at the bottom and all down the sides of my cup is sediment, that's too much for me, a little is fine, but I don't think I should be seeing that much. But the EkoBrew is brewing the best cups of coffee I've had since the days of my French Press.

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Just found out about Ekobrew.com from CoffeeTalk recently, but I don't know how well they work.

It works great for me. Best coffee I've had since the days of my French Press. As I told another poster, my only complaint is cleaning it out as I don't want all the grounds going down my sink and possibly clogging it. I have one of those kitchenette sinks here at work, so no disposal or anything like that. Just a plunger in case of a slow drain. But yeah my EkoBrew works fantastic and I prefer it over the My K-Cup that comes with some machines. You just pop it in the K-Cup holster that's already in your machine, but one trick. Since you have to line it up with the needle in the back of your machine, that's usually used to puncture K-Cups, I tip it back a bit when I put it in and it slides in smoothly. It drove me nuts for a day as how to properly insert it, since the instructions never mentioned this step.

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you tried what I'm currently using, the EkoBrew. It's a brown wire mesh filter with a flip top. Does that sound about right? I love it. I've never heard of the Medelco that fits into the My K-Cup assembly, I may have to check that out at a later date.

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Regular K-cups for the win.

- KanyEvil

So you don't mind that it's $15 -$16 for a box of 24 K-Cups at some online retailers or $10 a box at the grocery store? That's a bit expensive. You'll save more money buying by the bag and with the Eko-Brew basket I get a much richer and more satisfying cup of coffee than with anything available in a K-Cup. In fact, I even brewed a K-Cup, a Tully's House Blend Decaf, the other day and it tasted flat to me. But coffee, like wine is subjective and there is no one hard and fast right one. We each drink what we like. :coffee:

unaffected

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So you don't mind that it's $15 -$16 for a box of 24 K-Cups at some online retailers or $10 a box at the grocery store? That's a bit expensive. You'll save more money buying by the bag and with the Eko-Brew basket I get a much richer and more satisfying cup of coffee than with anything available in a K-Cup. In fact, I even brewed a K-Cup, a Tully's House Blend Decaf, the other day and it tasted flat to me. But coffee, like wine is subjective and there is no one hard and fast right one. We each drink what we like. :coffee:

Just curious, what model of Keurig do you have? I've been toying with the idea of buying an Eko-Brew filter, but I'm nervous because the Keurig brand filter produced less than satisfactory results with my machine.

Rich

Feb 6, 2012
Oceanside, Ca
Visit site
Ingenious alternative

My research has discovered a unique alternative to My K-Cup and it is especially nice because it allows Keurig users to reduce waste by reusing the little pods. It's pretty ingenious, allowing the user to clean the "disposable" pod, insert their favorite coffee grounds, apply a reusable lid and brew again. This reduces the cost of the coffee considerably, yet still allows the drinker to enjoy single-serving coffee, the reason they invested in the machine.
His "my-kap.com" site is full of praise by customers and I think it is worth looking into.

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, what model of Keurig do you have? I've been toying with the idea of buying an Eko-Brew filter, but I'm nervous because the Keurig brand filter produced less than satisfactory results with my machine.

I actually have two models, one at home and one at work. I use the one at work most often. At work I have the model B-31 or the Mini-Plus, no water pump on this model so that is a HUGE bonus, as the water pumps are the first things to malfunction on most Keurig machines and therefore the # 1 complaint people have about their Keurig machines.

At home I have the discontinued B40. That one does have a water pump but so far it has lasted 2-3 years. If you do buy an Eko-Brew filter, read the instructions. I had Starbucks grind me two bags of coffee and told them it was for a Keurig machine and the coffee has been weak, with a lot of sediment on the bottom. So when I go back there today to buy another bag, I am going to tell them to grind the bag on setting # 8 which is what Eko-Brew recommends on the videos at their website.

They also say if you buy your coffee at the grocery store, already ground, it should be fine as is. I have been thinking about grinding my own coffee and am thinking about getting the Kyocera Manual Ceramic Burr grinder. It costs $50 I think and looks like about all I need, right now. I love the Eko-Brew filter because it allows me to drink coffees I like that Keurig doesn't carry and with the price hike I just can't justify that kind of money for such mediocre coffee.

unaffected

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I actually have two models, one at home and one at work. I use the one at work most often. At work I have the model B-31 or the Mini-Plus, no water pump on this model so that is a HUGE bonus, as the water pumps are the first things to malfunction on most Keurig machines and therefore the # 1 complaint people have about their Keurig machines.

At home I have the discontinued B40. That one does have a water pump but so far it has lasted 2-3 years. If you do buy an Eko-Brew filter, read the instructions. I had Starbucks grind me two bags of coffee and told them it was for a Keurig machine and the coffee has been weak, with a lot of sediment on the bottom. So when I go back there today to buy another bag, I am going to tell them to grind the bag on setting # 8 which is what Eko-Brew recommends on the videos at their website.

They also say if you buy your coffee at the grocery store, already ground, it should be fine as is. I have been thinking about grinding my own coffee and am thinking about getting the Kyocera Manual Ceramic Burr grinder. It costs $50 I think and looks like about all I need, right now. I love the Eko-Brew filter because it allows me to drink coffees I like that Keurig doesn't carry and with the price hike I just can't justify that kind of money for such mediocre coffee.

Thank you so much for your response, Zecryphon.

I also use two different models, one at work and one at home. At work we have the Mini, and the My K-Cup filter. I use store-bought Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and it produces a wonderful cup of coffee. The problem lies at home, where I have a Keurig Platinum (B70). I purchased another My K-Cup filter, and unfortunately using the same store-bought coffee I use at work results in a watery, tasteless cup of coffee. I'm really not sure what the problem is, but I think I will try the Eko-Brew and grinding coffee on setting #8 as you (and the Eko-Brew instructions) suggest.

Thank you again for your info! :)