What are the advantages of a manual grinder over an electric grinder?

kopikopi

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the advantages of using a manual (hand crank) grinder over an electric grinder?

I have always heard that manual grinders have an advantage over electric grinders because manuals avoid rapidly heating up the beans, which preserves a lot of flavor (but I'm not certain if this is accurate). Is the difference in flavor noticeable?

Thanks!

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I have always heard that manual grinders have an advantage over electric grinders because manuals avoid rapidly heating up the beans, which preserves a lot of flavor (but I'm not certain if this is accurate). Is the difference in flavor noticeable?

I heard the same thing, but I couldn't tell any difference.

I have a hand grinder because:
1. It's cheap.
2. It works for my coffee making process (small amounts for just me).
3. It's easily portable since it needs no electricity and it's light. So I can take my coffee making stuff on vacation with me.

kanyevil

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Control; My friend, Control..

'Tis like, would you want to grill your own steak , or have a robot do it?
Right? that's how I see it.

- KanyEvil

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Yeah kinda does. I've used one in the past. Didn't care for it really, it was nice and all but wasn't my style. Honestly I didn't want people looking at me wondering why my right arm was more buff then my left!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have both kinds at home, and they're both burr grinders. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to use and clean the electric grinder, so I use the manual one instead. I can see your point about how the manual one doesn't heat up the beans as it's grinding, because I take my time turning the crank and I rest my arm (mainly my wrist) once in a while. I can also tweek the "grind" of the manual one easier than the electric one. A manual grinder is great for small grinding chores. But if you're going to need to grind a lot of beans, you'd probably want an electric grinder.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I have both kinds at home, and they're both burr grinders. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to use and clean the electric grinder, so I use the manual one instead. I can see your point about how the manual one doesn't heat up the beans as it's grinding, because I take my time turning the crank and I rest my arm (mainly my wrist) once in a while. I can also tweek the "grind" of the manual one easier than the electric one. A manual grinder is great for small grinding chores. But if you're going to need to grind a lot of beans, you'd probably want an electric grinder.

Good points PR... some hand mills can grind quite agressive/fast to make short work of the task at hand, but this depends on burr design. My KyM mill is perfect for espresso having stepless adjustment and an aggressive burr feed, being able to chew through 15 grams in about 90 turns. I have read of some mills requiring as many as 400 turns for 14-15 grams and that WOULD get old quickly. Having a hand mill also makes switching back/forth between coffees quickly because nothing is retained to foul the next offering.

Electric mills certainly have their place, but for espresso a good hand mill costing $50-100 can easily be on par with electric mills costing as much as $600. I have no experience using a hand mill for coarser brew methods such as drip, press, etc. so nothing to suggest there.

Realistically there isn't ONE electric or hand mill that can cover all the bases and do all of them well. That's why most people have more than 1 grinder in their arsenal.

danielzchang

Feb 16, 2012
Fuzhou,China
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the advantages of using a manual (hand crank) grinder over an electric grinder?

Thanks!

It depends on what kind of electric grinder you are using. There are two general type of electric frinder, one is the fast turnig blade which is cheaper, the other is the crush and turning grinder, which is much more expensive and mostly for professional/commercial use.

Compare with the turning blade, it is true that the manual grinder avoid the heating up of the beans, and keep more flavour with the coffee. However, manual grinder is not easy to control the grain, and the commercial grinder might provide finer and stable grain of the coffee power, and it is an advantage over the manual grinder if you are using Mocca pot or espresso machine.

coffeecat7000

Apr 24, 2012
Bay Area
Visit site
The biggest advantage of a manual grinder over the electric grinder is you don't need electricity. If your power goes out or you are camping in a very remote area with no electricity, you can still brew coffee. I have a 40 year old Zassenhaus manual grinder. It's sort of tiring to use even though I am quite fit. I take it on every camping trip. I even take it on the road to make coffee while driving long distances. I grind my own coffee and then use the free hot water at truck stops to make fantastic coffee. As far as taste is concerned, it depends on the quality of the gears and last but not least, the quality of your beans. There are so many factors that go into make a great cup of coffee. Water, temperature, grind, brewing method, time brewed, roast profile, quality of the coffee bean, etc. A bad grinder will always give you a bad cup of coffee.