Lemon Juice & Descaling Your Espresso Machine

revbucky

I picked up a used espresso machine at the Salvation Army last night for $5. Once I learn a few essentials about making espresso, I'll upgrade to a better machine.

I'm interested in cleaning the machine before I start using it. I've ran some clean water through it several times and cleaned it up fairly well. I need to descale it before I go any further. I've read that using lemon juice and water is better than vinegar and water. Any thoughts on using lemon juice?

Thanks!

Terranova

Feb 2, 2012
Cologne, Germany
Visit site
I picked up a used espresso machine at the Salvation Army last night for $5. Once I learn a few essentials about making espresso, I'll upgrade to a better machine.

I'm interested in cleaning the machine before I start using it. I've ran some clean water through it several times and cleaned it up fairly well. I need to descale it before I go any further. I've read that using lemon juice and water is better than vinegar and water. Any thoughts on using lemon juice?

Thanks!

Yep, lemon juice or powder would be the right choice

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah I'd say don't bother with vinegar unless it's all you have or can find. It descales OK, but is terribly slow and can leave an aftertaste/smell.

Citric acid is a great all-around descaler (basically dehydrated lemon juice) if you can find it. Sodium (bi)carbonate is a decent/safe one as well.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
What type of machine did you pick up at the Salvation Army? Who knows, it could serve you well for some time to come regardless of price paid. If we have more info on your machine we may be able to help offer more guidance to get you started. Just don't overlook having a decent grinder and fresh coffee. The lack of those things will have you chasing your tail. Espresso isn't easy to figure out and takes a good bit of time to learn. I'd say the hardest part of it all is trying to figure out what espresso SHOULD taste like. There is no right or wrong answer because taste is subjective and there are so many variables/coffee types at play that you just tinker until you stumble onto something YOU like and try to duplicate it.