Keurig My K-Cup filter disappointment with Keurig Platinum

unaffected

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello all! I saw there was a similar thread recently asking about advice on a filter/reusable K-cup, but I didn't want to hijack. So, here is a new thread for my problem, and hopefully someone can help.

I use a Keurig Mini Plus at work. We have a My K-Cup filter. This Keurig makes a great cup of coffee. I look forward to coming in to work because I know I have delicious coffee waiting for me.

For Christmas this past year, I received a Keurig Platinum. It did not come with a My K-Cup, so I purchased one at Target for $17. I was so excited to use it with my new Keurig on a Saturday morning. Unfortunately, my excitement quickly turned to disappointment.

It makes the most watery cup of coffee. Even when I switch it to the smallest cup size, it is not nearly as strong as the cup of coffee the Keurig Mini + filter makes.

Has anyone else experienced this? It wouldn't be nearly so upsetting if the Keurig at work didn't produce such a divine cup of coffee. The Platinum is double the price, after all.

I've been buying K-Cups since. Although I like K-Cups, the ground coffee+filter was so much more affordable. I've looked in to an Ekobrew and a Solofill filter, but am scared to take the plunge based on my experiences thus far.

Thank you for any advice/insight/thoughts. Much appreciated! :)

QualityCoffee

Jan 31, 2012
USA
Visit site
Hey,
I don't know much about the Keurig K-Cup brewer, but I would bust one of those expensive pods open and evaluate the grinds in terms of coarseness and volume compared to the "ground coffee" you are using(I suspect that the "ground coffee" you are using is too course).

Willy919

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Try the EZ-Cup

Honestly if I were you I wouldn't use Solofill or the Ekobrew cup at all they are just like the My K-Cup. They both use mesh filters which leaves coffee grounds in your coffee and some oils from the mesh filters. Regular K-cups use paper filters because it does a better job of filtering the coffee better. If I were you I would go with the EZ-Cup by perfect pod. The EZ-Cup not only uses paper filters like K-cups but it is reusable and has a self tamping spring which helps extract a better cup of coffee. Try looking up EZ-Cups on youtube to see how it works :???:

NuffSaid

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
After much experimentation, I use the My K-Cup with the EZ-Cup paper filter. I grind my own coffee, very fine, and tear the paper top off the filter. I tried several different combinations of grind, amount of coffee per cup, amount of water, etc... with and without the paper filter and it all produced a weak cup of coffee. Until I noticed the grounds seemed very dry and I tore the little paper top off! My guess is that the water is being forced through at such a rate that it was going around the grounds rather than through them, by not using the top of the paper filter, the brew strength is perfect for me.

I found them to be less expensive at Sam's (online item only) than other online sellers.

Hope that helps!

riabroi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Tearing off the top of the paperfilter

After much experimentation, I use the My K-Cup with the EZ-Cup paper filter. I grind my own coffee, very fine, and tear the paper top off the filter. I tried several different combinations of grind, amount of coffee per cup, amount of water, etc... with and without the paper filter and it all produced a weak cup of coffee. Until I noticed the grounds seemed very dry and I tore the little paper top off! My guess is that the water is being forced through at such a rate that it was going around the grounds rather than through them, by not using the top of the paper filter, the brew strength is perfect for me.

I found them to be less expensive at Sam's (online item only) than other online sellers.

Hope that helps!

Seems that tearing off the top of the filter would increase, rather than decrease, the water flow.

jollygoodboy

Mar 2, 2013
USA
Visit site
I've personally found that using the My K-Cup with super super fine grounds works very well with allowing the water to drain through the grounds evenly. On the other hand when I've used coffee grounds that wasn't grounded finely, the coffee was super weak no matter which cup size i used on my keurig brewer. I even tried a guide I seen of reusing an old k-cup with the filter cut out and slipping it inside of the my k-cup holder, and it still came out weak. That's my experience at least.

Latest posts