What are the most important machines to have.

paula.suarez31

Feb 8, 2012
NEW JERSEY
Visit site
Hello to all,

I was hoping to get some pointers for a new coffee lounge. I was wondering if you guys can point out what are the most important machines to have in a coffee lounge. I understand that grinders and brewers are the top most important but I'm new at this. I have actually tried seeking a place that would allow me to work for about 2 weeks just so I can get a hands on experience; however, I have had no such luck.

What do you think are the most important machines to have and does anyone know of a coffee wholesale place online that is really good?

Thanks for your time,

Paula from New Jersey :)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Define coffee lounge... how many people to serve on an average day? What would be your primary focus... drip coffee, espresso based drinks, etc? Who would operate the equipment? Self-serve or dedicated staff of 1 or more?

paula.suarez31

Feb 8, 2012
NEW JERSEY
Visit site
Hello,

I'm not sure how many people to serve on a daily basis. Im going after a space that has heavy traffic and where people walk. There are two dunkin donoughts on that street; however, there arent any gourmet coffee places on this Boulevard. I expect heavy traffic in the mornings and hopefully evenings. My primary base would have to be espresso drinks and latte's. Im a bit new to this and im trying to take up all I can. I would be operating the equipment and I would be there to manage the establishment. I would like my place to have a dedicated staff of two and myself 3. I want a place that serves good quality coffee and an establishment that people will look forward to sitting, relaxing and enjoy a cup of espresso or coffee.

Thanks so much for your help!

Paula

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
So you have NO experience with coffee on this level? Don't be too offended, but I have seen a handful of people local to me start a coffeeshop, kiosk, etc. and know next to nothing about specialty coffee. It shows in the product they're serving and they usually don't last long. Some opt to take a barista course... some "get it" and some don't regardless of the time/effort involved. Honestly there isn't a ton of $ to be made in coffee for the most part. It can provide a stable income, but like most start-up businesses it will take a while to get there.