Coffee bean roasting machine recommendations?

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I currently work full time and don't anticipate quitting but am considering supplementing my income. As I research the "coffee" industry, roasting may be the best option for my area as, to my knowledge, there are no notable roasters within 100 miles. Any suggestions for a beginners/learning roasting machine would be greatly appreciated. Machine price ( and resale) are obvious considerations. We'll explore sources of quality green beans next. Thanks a million.

HalfCaffeinated

Feb 22, 2012
USA
Visit site
Well, the concept of "beginner" and "roasting" don't really mesh well together. It's a fairly complicated art. Anyone can roast, 'tis true. However, roasting and roasting WELL are two totally different things. And I'm going to share a tip that many roast machine vendors will hate me for: the roaster is not as important as the technique (and hence the person applying the technique), which is a skill learned over time. If you already know how to roast, you're a step ahead of the game!

I would suggest purchasing a good "throw-away" model that you won't mind seeing go by the wayside. Practice your technique. If you can roast well with a bad machine, imagine how you'll do with a good machine. Just my two coppers' worth!

Cheers!

Brandon @ Half-Caf Reviews

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Behmor 1600 seems to be a good starter machine.???? Any "personal use" input on this machine would be appreciated.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Startup"

From what I've read, the Behmor 1600 would be an excellent machine for someone roasting at home. There are other "starter" machines available that you may also want to consider.

Besides using the search feature on this forum to find discussions on home coffee roasters, there are a lot of websites where you can compare machines. Have you explored the Sweet Maria's website yet? There is a lot of interesting information there. Coffee Roasters | Sweet Maria's Coffee

Good luck with your search. Please let us know what you decide to get.

Rose