What is the best espresso machine for me

abbycole

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have gone thru 2 cuisinart 15 bar espresso makers in two years. the first one broke after 6 months and they sent me a new one and after 1 year of use it broke. I am looking for a great quality 15 bar machine that is going to last more than a year. I don't want to pay more that 350-400. especially b/c I have not had a great experience with long lasting machines. I do use it every day. any suggestions?​

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
You primarily drink straight espresso (Americanos, etc) or milk based drinks? I ask because some machines are better steamers than others.

Exactly what grinder do you currently use?

You use the machine daily, but how many drinks does this consist of on average?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You mean a few more hundred? The price of Silvia has increased quite a bit in the last 5 or so years with nothing being done to make it any better.

12 years ago the price of gas was about $1.50. A metric ton of copper was running about $1800. Today gas is running close to $4.00, a metric ton of copper is pushing $9000.

So now you can see why innovation has plateaued yet the price of espresso equipment has gone up. I don't like it any more then you do but I don't see the markets stabilizing any time soon so as long as the demand for precious metals and other commodities increase so will the price of manufactured goods.

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Granted, Silvia is a bit pricier and I didn't want to invest 600 for a first machine either but there doesn't really seem to be an equally durable (and tested) alternative. It's a good bet that if you don't like it, you'll have buyers lined up. Research it and choose wisely because it is quite an expense. I'm certain you'll find one your happy with.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
12 years ago the price of gas was about $1.50. A metric ton of copper was running about $1800. Today gas is running close to $4.00, a metric ton of copper is pushing $9000.

So now you can see why innovation has plateaued yet the price of espresso equipment has gone up. I don't like it any more then you do but I don't see the markets stabilizing any time soon so as long as the demand for precious metals and other commodities increase so will the price of manufactured goods.

Innovation has hit a plateu with Rancilio and the Silvia, but not so with most other manufacturers. The Silvia "used" to be THE home machine, now it's more of an after thought. Same with the Rocky grinder. Surely still a really good grinder for home use, but other manufacturers have stepped up their game and are offering better performance/features at a competitive price. Unfortunately Rancilio is one of those companies that takes the motto "if it ain't broke don't fix it" a little too seriously.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Granted, Silvia is a bit pricier and I didn't want to invest 600 for a first machine either but there doesn't really seem to be an equally durable (and tested) alternative. It's a good bet that if you don't like it, you'll have buyers lined up. Research it and choose wisely because it is quite an expense. I'm certain you'll find one your happy with.

The Gaggia Classic and LeLit PL041 are easily on par with the Silvia regarding build quality and performance. Both are close to $200 less as well, which leaves room for a decent grinder.

filanthrope

Feb 28, 2012
Colorado
Visit site
how about getting a manual espresso machine? You'll definitely learn the grind, tamp pressure, water pressure, pre-infusion, etc. to a 'T'. If you can master the manual, you'll make the best espresso of your life :)