Grinder advice

J

jrm111

I'm looking for a quality grinder that will last me some years. I can do manual or electric, and I'm only using this for french press coffee at this point. Would like to stay under $100, thanks for your time.

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to focus on a "conical burr" grinder type rather than blade for better control of the grind. I imagine the novelty of a manual grinder would wear off though I've never owned one. After some research, we settled on a Capresso Infinity brand and have been satisfied using it for French press, drip, and the temperamental Rancilio Silvia espresso machine. Good luck.

reznorhurt

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I were looking at getting one of those Capresso Infinity Conical Burr grinders as well, but we ended up reading reviews and decided to get a Bodum Burr Grinder instead. It works great for French Press grinds but can be annoying if you have to make a few grinds in a row as it can only do one grind every 3 or 4 minutes.

I am interested, have you had any problems at all with the Capresso? Im wondering if it is worth replacing the Bodum while I still can.

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
We got model 565 with the steel body as some are plastic. Having owned it since April 2011, there have been no problems. Generally it is used for a French press or two, a pot of drip, or two or three espressos. On one occasion it was used to grind a pound of coffee for drip use and needed no rest time. Keep in mind, though, it is only for individual use. Knock on wood, it has been a good machine and the best price at the time was at 1st in Coffee and shipping time was great. For what it's worth, I would recommend it for your use.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I had an Infinity for several years and it never let me down. It's a great all-around grinder and quite capable when doing espresso. Nice burr design, decent adjustment range/build quality for the $ and very compact/easy to clean. I recently gave it to a friend that just bought his first espresso machine, so the grinder lives on.

Darryl4Coffee

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
this is the exact post i was about to put up. it seems like all the guys n gals that really take brewing coffee serious are suggesting manual grinders, preferably older ones. any body have any thoughts on this?