Recommendations for drip coffee maker under $100

Daily_Grind

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to this forum and seeking advice on a 10-12 cup drip coffee maker for under $100.
I don't care for espresso option, just plan on using it for American style morning joe.

Is a thermal carafe important?
Which one has the best brewing water tempature?
Best carafe for pouring without spilling?

I am planning to purchase a Capresso Burr Grinder model 559.04 for approx $30 at Costco Business.
Is this a decent burr grinder?
The Capresso Infinity Conical Burr is a little steep for me at $100.

Current favorite coffee is Peet's Major Dickason's blend from Bristol Farms or a local Peets Shop (not the grocery store distributed one from Millstone). I like smooth and bold, not the strong Starbucks after taste style.

Thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Daily_Grind"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum website.

I've been very happy with my Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee maker (DGB-600BC) with the thermal carafe, and I've had it for about four years. The grind and brew machines tend to be a bit loud as they're grinding, so that option may not work for you. I like the thermal carafe, because it helps keep the coffee warm for a long time.

I have a Capresso Infinity Burr grinder, but I hardly ever use it, since the Cuisinart grinds the coffee beans before brewing, and it works out fine for me.

If you do a search on this forum....(the search box is at the top right side of your screen), you will find a lot of postings from people who have had experience with various coffee makers. You may want to explore some models on the Internet and read the reviews and comments there too.

Good luck with your search.

Rose

LeeDenney

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Daily_Grind,

Just some thoughts on the thermal carafe...

I think it is important to consider how you typically consume your coffee. I currently have a 12-Cup KitchenAid KCM223 with a thermal carafe and I kinda wish I had gone with glass.

I've found the following:
a)the thermal carafe is harder to clean than glass I've owned in the past. The brew-through lid with rubber flaps is particularly worrisome - I never think it is clean.
b)it doesn't keep the coffee very hot - probably because I am making such a small amount in a big pot, and because I do not pre-heat the carafe
c)about 80%+ of the time, I only make 1-2 mugsful and drink it over a 1 - 1/2 hour period

When I selected this machine, I was thinking how nice it would be to have fresh hot coffee to drink all morning long on the weekends. But the times I use this machine in that way are few and far between. In retrospect, I should have been shopping to meet the needs my weekday morning routine - easy cleanup and no worry about the coffee sitting on a hot plate for hours. I could have gotten a stand-alone thermal container for my weekend needs.

So, if you drink a pot of coffee over several hours on a very regular basis, I think a thermal carafe is a great idea. Especially if you forego the Auto-On and take the time to preheat the carafe with some hot water. You can expect fresh, hot coffee for hours. Otherwise, a cheaper and easier glass pot might fit the bill better.

~Lee

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
You definately need to preheat the thermal carafe before making the coffee. You can rinse the carafe with hot tap water, and it will be enough to take the chill out of it. I fill mine with hot water at night, and in the morning when I dump the water out, it's still warm, and the inside of the carafe is warm too. That way, the coffee isn't going into a cold carafe as you brew it, and it stays hot longer.

Rose