What size stainless steel airpot for coffee shop?

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi:
I'm opening a new shop in a small town. I've been recommended to use a stainless airpot rather than a glass one, yet I'm not sure of what size? I guess this really depends on how busy the shop is, but I was thinking
the gallon size (from Chris Coffee)....I'm assuming that I can brew less than a gallon, but still have capacity for more if needed? I was also recommended the Dual air pot coffee brewer (from Chris Coffee) so I'd probably be getting two airpots, whatever size I decide to go with. Does this sound smart?

Also, any recommendations on coffee grinders? The Mazzer Super Jolly for espresso was recommended by Chris Coffee, but I'm not sure about regular coffee grinder....I'm thinking a Bunn bulk coffee grinder?
For espresso machines, I'm thinking about the Compact S5 by La Spaziale.

This is my first post, finally found a forum like this. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

KMM

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello, Good luck in your venture. It seems like Chris Coffee is guiding your decisions? Might I recommend looking at coffeegeek.com and "searching" this forum for equipment reviews and recommendations before accepting all Chris Coffee has to offer. They may be offering good advice but maybe not the best or most objective for you. Keep you options open. You're making a big commitment and armed with good information you can forge a better plan. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I can tell you from experience that more isn't always better. We started out with 3 airpots and bought 5 more (used at a great price) to have onhand at large events. As time went by I turned more and more people onto espresso/espresso based drinks and over time brewed less drip coffee. IF I was to do it all over again I wouldn't bother with drip coffee and just offer Americanos instead as it's fresh, no waste and efficient. The last few weeks we were in operation I didn't bother with drip, just made Americanos and people loved it. So did I as there was no waste like is typical with drip.

Size wise, we used airpots ranging from 2.2-3 liters. The Bunn brand was the best of what we used.

Base your grinders on estimated usage. The Super Jolly will work well for medium-low volume. Personally I like the Nuova Simonelli MDX (yes I have used both) as it's a bit faster on grinding and offers superb micrometric stepless adjustment.

For bulk grinding I used a Bunn LPG and found it to be outstanding... superb grind consistency, space saving and fairly fast.

Also consider a decaf specific grinder if you plan (and you should) to offer decaf. Don't go all out on this grinder as decaf is a fraction of the market.

I'm not a fan of compact espresso machines as compact means small boiler(s). If space allows it, get a normal/full sized machine, 2 group would probably be fine. Small boilers usually, but not always, lead to dimished steaming capability, longer recovery time, etc. Have seen it firsthand in a coffeeshop and 2 mobile settings. If there is a weak link it should be the user and not the equipment.

Latest posts