Opinons on the K-cup craze?

Daily_Grind

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Opinions on the K-cup craze?

I don't understand the K-cup craze. $150 - $200 for the machine, 50-70 cents for a one cup serving of coffee that is not fresh ground, and if you want 2 cups it will cost over $1.00.

Since I am currently looking for a coffee maker & burr grinder, why would I want to consider a K-Cup model? I don't see it being cost effective in the long run. How about brew quality vs a drip machine?

I am currently leaning towards a Cuisinart 12c drip maker at Costco for $49.99 and a Capresso Infinity grinder. Are these good choices for a $150 budget?

Thanks

Last edited:

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand it either. I guess it's a fad for the Starbucks crowd - compared to a $5 cup of coffee, it might sound like a bargain.

Sorry I don't know anything about the products you're looking at, but I do have a Cuisinart blender/processor that I bought at Costco - it's the best blender I've ever owned. And, Costco will let you bring anything back for a full refund if you don't like it - I'm not even sure they have a time limit. It would be a no-risk purchase if you decide you don't like the coffee maker.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
~ Cuisinart and Capresso have good reputations. They are both good choices for your budget.

Anyone who has a K-cup machine knows they'll be spending more money in the long run. The convenience of a quick cup of coffee is basically what they're looking for. If you drink more than a cup or two a day, a traditional coffee maker is the best way to go.

So, I think you should go to Cosco, buy the coffee maker and grinder, and begin enjoying your coffee!

Rose

Jeremy

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
We live in a world where people spend millions, if not billions, of dollars on food from McDonalds that is not particularly good or cost effective. Many people place a premium value on quickness and ease of use and K-cups meet those desires well. In addition, Green Mountain has done a stellar job at marketing Keurig.

I'm not a big fan of k cups. Their quality is OK but cannot match the coffee from a good drip machine or french press. I've actually had more luck with the Bunn My Cafe pod brewer. There are some fantastic single origin and blend coffees available from Fratello and The Coffee Artisan. I still don't think "pod coffee" is as good as drip, but it is superior to anything Keurig has.

Given your post, I don't think you should consider a k cup model. Definitely buy the coffee maker from Costco. It's a solid one, and you can always return it if you don't like it.