Recommendations on bulk coffee grinder?

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm opening a coffee shop and am researching equipment. I was thinking to get a Bunn Bulk coffee grinder for my drip coffee (not really thinking about decaf), but then I was recommended the Bunn Dual Hopper Low Profile Portion Grinder so that the machine can hold regular and decaf and I can easily adjust the settings depending on which I'm grinding? I did not realize that decaf requires a different grind setting? Actually, I was not even planning to offer decaf? Does this sound ridiculous? Do any of you with shops, not offer decaf?

thanks for any advice,

KMM

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
There is definitely a need to have decaf available in any coffeeshop as it seems more people are having/wanting to cut back on caffeine. I suggest you offer decaf Americanos and not bother with decaf drip as the former is much better in terms of freshness, minimizing waste, etc.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
~ I've noticed a huge increase in DeCaf sales this past year. The coffee shop where I work only offers Decaf in drip coffee. We also sell regular coffee in drip and the espresso-based drinks. We have two separate grinders - one for regular beans and one for decaf beans.

There has been an increase in people asking for espresso-based drinks made with decaf, and the owner is thinking about adding another machine.

We sell more of the hot decaf (drip) than the iced decaf, but the Summer isn't here yet....and there may be an increase in that too.

Rose

Last edited:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
A Bunn LPG isn't really meant for a coffee house setting. It's more for the restaurant/causal dining setup. A bulk grinder will allow you to make that adjustment on the fly to where the LPG is has one setting and you'll have to remove a face plate every time you want to make an adjustment.

Having the bulk grinder will just make your life a lot easier as you'll be able to adjust for drip coffee, french press, espresso for home users. The LPG isn't designed for that at all. Also with a bulk you don't have to worry about grinding decaf or regular as the bulk can do them both with no contamination issues. Just don't throw in flavored coffee in it and you'll be fine.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
A Bunn LPG isn't really meant for a coffee house setting. It's more for the restaurant/causal dining setup. A bulk grinder will allow you to make that adjustment on the fly to where the LPG is has one setting and you'll have to remove a face plate every time you want to make an adjustment.

Having the bulk grinder will just make your life a lot easier as you'll be able to adjust for drip coffee, french press, espresso for home users. The LPG isn't designed for that at all. Also with a bulk you don't have to worry about grinding decaf or regular as the bulk can do them both with no contamination issues. Just don't throw in flavored coffee in it and you'll be fine.

Really now? Maybe you don't know much about the LPG or simply have it confused with another BUNN grinder as it's fully adjustable on the fly with nothing to remove. Simply use a stubby screwdriver and turn the set screw for finer/coarser adjustment... it's located where the discharge openings are and the desired settings are nicely marked. May not be quite as easy as a knob, but that's beside the point... it is easily adjustable on the fly for any grind needed.

The LPG is an outstanding low profile bulk grinder with excellent grind quality and very little grind retention.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You know you just blurring the line here man. What you may consider easy on the fly is no where easy and on the fly as turning a knob marked with course settings. The LPG is not a bulk grinder, its a portion controlled grinder period.

It was designed to grind a set amount of time and dose that every time. A bulk grinder is a grinder you add coffee to and grind it all in one sitting. There is no limit to how much coffee you have to use and you are the portion control.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well I guess maybe I should realize some people must have a knob staring them in the face and can't figure out simple burr adjustment otherwise. It's easy on the fly for me and I find it to be quite good at BULK grinding. Once the "portion control" timing is up I simply reset the switch and continue. I can grind as much as needed at one time.

The LPG is great to have for the cost, compact size and grind quality.

Last edited: