Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Moka pot is popular with your local market?

Super Moderator
    Hello "minwoojunjin"

Last summer I noticed more and more people talking about using a Moka Pot, and many of them really like the coffee. Then in December, during the holidays, several people said they were giving them as gifts. That's when I started thinking about buying one. The women at the store where I buy my coffee beans have been trying to convinvce me to buy one for quite some time.

I've always been afraid that if I get it and don't like it, it will end up in my basement with all of the other things I don't use. I'm still thinking about it....just like I'm still thinking about getting a home coffee bean roaster.

Rose

PinkRose, I say go for the home roasting as I'm heading that way myself. Pretty much decided on a Behmor 1600. Even though good roasted coffee can be found for reasonable prices, I still like the idea of buying green and roasting exactly the way I want. I've sampled many coffees over the last few years, specifically for espresso, and don't like about 90% of what I've tried. Of course roasting is a science all it's own, but with a bit of time, determination and practice I'm sure I will lock onto something I really like. I don't believe I will save much $ in the end with home roasting, but that is only 1 point to consider.

Super Moderator
    Hi Shadow,

As I was exploring different kinds of roasters, I also considered the Behmor 1600 (it was on the Sweet Maria's website.) It looks like a good choice for a home roaster.

If you go with that one, I hope you'll let us (me) know how it works for you. I'm concerned about setting off my smoke detectors as I'm roasting coffee beans.

I have no doubt that you'll quickly master the art of home roasting!

Rose

The Behmor has alot going for it based on all the reviews/info I've looked over. It's well constructed, has some nice profiles built-in, has a smoke suppression system that eliminates a majority of the smoke, is capable of roasting up to 1 lb. at a time although some say it roasts better with a bit less than that...

What is drawing me to the Behmor is that it supposedly offers richer flavored roasts due to the radiant heating, which would be ideal for the type of espresso I like. I have also been considering the Gene Cafe, but most say it brings out brighter notes due to utilizing heated air to do the roasting. It also has a rotating drum, but the convection effect apparently alters the roast style a bit. That could be fantastic for other brew methods, but probably not so much for the bolder notes I'm looking for. Decisions, decisions....

Super Moderator
    Hello again,

I went to the store where I buy my roasted coffee beans, and I asked them about what grind to use for the Moka-Pot. They said that they recommend an espresso grind for the Moka Pots.

I bought my usual supply of whole beans and then another half pound of beans ground on the espresso setting. The Moka Pot arrived yesterday, and I'm hoping to have some time this week to "season it" and experiment with it. By the way, the instructions that came with the Moka Pot say to use a course grind coffee. I guess I'll find out very soon which is best!

Rose

Keep in mind that by the time you use the pre-ground it will mimic a coarser grind than when ground fresh. Of course you're a pro at this, so that should come as no surprise.

Do enjoy it and please report back with your findings.

Super Moderator
    Hello again,

Well, the espresso grind definitely didn't work out for the Moka Pot. I had a feeling it was going to be too fine, and it was so fine that it clogged the holes in the Moka-Pot coffee basket. It took a very long time to brew the coffee, and the result was a horrible mud-like brew. I have been chewing gum all afternoon trying to get rid of the terrible taste!

When I took the Moka Pot apart to clean out the wet grounds, most of the grounds were hardly wet, and there was a lot of sediment in the bottom chamber where the water goes. So, for my next attempt, I plan to adjust the grind to a more coarse texture. It's good I bought some extra whole beans this week!

Rose

Mind me, but what is a Moka-Pot?

A Moka Pot is a stovetop coffee maker that brews a beverage that's much like a true espresso.
    It uses pressure, but not as much as a real espresso maker.
    It's also much more affordable than the higher-end equipment.

Check out our shop (link is in my signature & some pics are featured in my avatar). We have sizes that range from single-cup to six-cup models in a variety of colors.

Feel free to ask more questions if you're interested in buying one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links