Coffee Grind for Moka Pot

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Never used one, but have read alot about them. Typical grind fineness should be between drip and espresso. Probably identical to the grind needed for steam "espresso" machines that so many of us have used at one time or another. I don't think any sort of tamping is needed either as there isn't enough pressure to really push through. Good luck with it!

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Most of the Moka Pot companies recommend a course grind, but I've found that it doesn't have to be overly course.

My suggestion would be to start off course and go finer until you find the texture that tastes right to you.

Here are a couple rules of thumb you can follow while you experiment:
If your coffee is too weak or watery, your grind is too course.
If it's too bitter, your grind is too fine - this means the coffee is overextracted.

Of course, the type of beans you're using makes a difference - and some people even say the atmospheric pressure can make a difference (I'm not sure about that last part - just passing on some of what I'm hearing - maybe someone else can explain that part better.)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Shadow!

This afternoon, I took a look at a couple of YouTube videos on how to make coffee with a Moka Pot, and both of the the guys doing the demonstration said to use a fine espresso-type grind. But, when I looked at a third video, the guy said to use regular drip-grind coffee. That's when I decided to post my question.

I'm still thinking about geting a moka pot. The next time I go to the shop where I get my roasted coffee beans, I'll ask the people there about it. They love the moka pots, and they've been trying to convince me to get one for quite some time.

I hope all is well with you. I'm very glad to see you posting to the Coffee Forum. I've always enjoyed reading your posts!

Rose

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
You're kidding right? Maybe most of those companies need a bit of training on how to use the product themselves. I'd say start with fine drip range and go from there.

Maybe they do. Considering the coffee pots are very high quality and they're made in Italy where the Moka Pot was invented, I trusted them enough to use their suggestions as a starting point.

If I had found this site first, it would have saved me some time.

By the way Shadow745, I enjoy your posts, too. Took me awhile to recognize your ID, but your signature is unforgettable.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Shadow. Never used one, but I've read before that moka pot grind should start off fine, but a little coarser than for an espresso machine. They should only be coarse enough where they don't go through the filter holes or block them. So if you end up with sediments, go coarser, but definitely not as coarse as drip brew grind. You also don't pack the ground coffee, just level it off to make sure it's even or you run the risk of popping off the pressure valve.

I've also read that you should always brew the set amount of coffee it's designed for. So you should get the size moka pot you always tend to make. Don't try to make less or more than the indicated size as it will affect the extraction process, i.e. if you have a 4 cup moka pot (cup being espresso cup) don't brew just 2 cups, always brew 4 cups with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Shadow & Tazzidaluna,

Moka Pots is a new company and we're learning as we go. Until I received one for a Christmas gift, I had never used one - but it didn't take long to fall in love with this product.

Obviously, I was impressed enough to start my new business.

Both of you seem very knowledgable about coffee. Have you considered entering the giveaway I've mentioned in my other post? I'd love to hear how you like it and what worked for you.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm actually just a newbie, but have been doing a lot of reading for the past few months. I'd like to check out moka pots in the future, but I'm in that home roasting phase right now. I want to focus on one thing at a time. :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "minwoojunjin"

Last summer I noticed more and more people talking about using a Moka Pot, and many of them really like the coffee. Then in December, during the holidays, several people said they were giving them as gifts. That's when I started thinking about buying one. The women at the store where I buy my coffee beans have been trying to convinvce me to buy one for quite some time.

I've always been afraid that if I get it and don't like it, it will end up in my basement with all of the other things I don't use. I'm still thinking about it....just like I'm still thinking about getting a home coffee bean roaster.

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
PinkRose, I say go for the home roasting as I'm heading that way myself. Pretty much decided on a Behmor 1600. Even though good roasted coffee can be found for reasonable prices, I still like the idea of buying green and roasting exactly the way I want. I've sampled many coffees over the last few years, specifically for espresso, and don't like about 90% of what I've tried. Of course roasting is a science all it's own, but with a bit of time, determination and practice I'm sure I will lock onto something I really like. I don't believe I will save much $ in the end with home roasting, but that is only 1 point to consider.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Shadow,

As I was exploring different kinds of roasters, I also considered the Behmor 1600 (it was on the Sweet Maria's website.) It looks like a good choice for a home roaster.

If you go with that one, I hope you'll let us (me) know how it works for you. I'm concerned about setting off my smoke detectors as I'm roasting coffee beans.

I have no doubt that you'll quickly master the art of home roasting!

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Behmor has alot going for it based on all the reviews/info I've looked over. It's well constructed, has some nice profiles built-in, has a smoke suppression system that eliminates a majority of the smoke, is capable of roasting up to 1 lb. at a time although some say it roasts better with a bit less than that...

What is drawing me to the Behmor is that it supposedly offers richer flavored roasts due to the radiant heating, which would be ideal for the type of espresso I like. I have also been considering the Gene Cafe, but most say it brings out brighter notes due to utilizing heated air to do the roasting. It also has a rotating drum, but the convection effect apparently alters the roast style a bit. That could be fantastic for other brew methods, but probably not so much for the bolder notes I'm looking for. Decisions, decisions....