Frothing Milk with a French Press

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
~ Does anyone froth milk by using their French Press? I was looking at a few videos on YouTube about how to make coffee with a Moka-Pot, and I noticed that people were using a French Press to froth warm milk for their coffee drinks.

Now I'm curious to see if anyone on this forum does it that way.

I know you won't get the real steamed milk by this technique, in particular, the sweetened lactose flavor that you get when you steam milk the traditional way, but it looks like you get a decent foam-froth with the French Press. You'd obviously need to heat the milk in a sauce pan or the microwave before putting it in the French Press first, but it looks like it's a workable alternative for making froth at home.

Rose

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I tried it this morning using my small 3 cup French Press. I heated some milk in the microwave, and then I put it into the French Press and pumped the plunger a few times. I was afraid of breaking the glass, so I stopped. It was enough to make the milk frothy/foamy and it actually held its consistency when I poured it in my coffee.

Besides worrying about breaking the glass, the extra cleaning of the French Press parts would make this activity something I'd only do on special occasions or when I had company who prefered froth/foam on their coffee. On second thought, I'd probably take out my battery operated milk frother and use that instead.

Rose

Last edited:

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Other than the heat, I wonder if that works on the same principle as making regular whipped cream?

I'm always amazed that works and doesn't lose its consistency too.
Of course, it's a much higher fat content & thicker to start.

I wonder what a hand-mixer or one of those hand blenders would do to hot milk? That would be a lot easier to clean.