Why course grind for french press?

J

jrm111

Still new to the french press fun, but curious as to why I need to use only course grinds? I recently tried a press with course grinds and after 4 minutes it tasted terrible and watered down. Went back to using a fine grind and my coffee tasted delicious. Is the concern that some "silt" will slip through the filter? If so, I don't mind the sludge at the bottom of my cup.
Any thoughts?

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I believe coarse grind is used because you don't want sediments to end up in the cup and finer grind makes it harder to push the plunger. A finer grind would also actually taste bitter because when the grinds make it through the filter, it prolongs the contact of the coffee with the water. Also, are you using the right temp? I let my water boil, then let it sit about a minute before I pour it. I also stir the grounds before I let it steep for 4 minutes, you can also try 5-6 minutes and see what that does. I also use 2 tablespoons of freshly coarse ground coffee per 8 oz of water, but you should add more coffee if you like it stronger.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
General rule of thumb is longer contact time = coarser grind. Only exception would be Turkish coffee. As well as sediment.

Main thing is whatever works for you then by all means do it. So many people tend to follow the "golden rules" for espresso with x amount of time and/or volume in an effort to achieve great espresso. I NEVER use either. Taste/texture trumps all else. People should follow their instinct alot more often and not try to be so scientific about it all.

Latest posts