Evidently rare Glass Tube, Candle-driven, Coffee Brewer... What Was It?

KonaCandleSearcher

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I once enjoyed restaurant tableside coffee service delivered with a brewer unlike any syphon or balancing-syphon brewers I've seen searching the web.
The brewer used mostly or exclusively glass vessels and glass tubes. The glass tubes served as interconnects between the vessels.
The appearance was a bit like a graceful, artful, chemistry set... mostly leaning towards graceful and artistic.
This restaurant elected to use a CANDLE as the heat source and as I remember things the lit candle was strategically placed under a thin glass tube.
There was such a small volume of water in the thin glass tube that the candle provided enough heat to heat the water. The heated water was
driven up a tube and (speculation due to hazy memory) it's plausible that the water basically dripped from that point through the coffee beans
and into a vessel to capture brewed coffee.
The heated water tube ran at an angle, perhaps 45 degrees. I recall the possibility of some loops of glass as well; it was not a "simple" design.
The resulting brewer seemed to me, at the time, to be as much a work of art and "industrial" design as I had seen in a brewer.
No amount of searching I've done on the web has turned up the identity, or photo, or diagram of a brewer like this.
So... who knows the answer? What is this coffee brewer??

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "KonaCandleSearcher"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum!

It sounds like you're referring to something that's like the coffee maker that was in the movie called "The Bucket List"

Take a look at this website and see if any of the coffee makers look like what you're describing.

Coffeemaker classic gold

Rose

KonaCandleSearcher

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Not one of these -- the search continues!

Hello and thank you for your replies.

The search I'm undertaking is harder and evidently for something more rare than either of these two machines.

The brewer wasn't purely vertical in form; water did not flow on a pure up/down path. That rules out the Hario and other siphons with similar fundamental design.

I've already viewed many vacuum coffee brewers similar to the "Royal" but none of them are matches. I will say that the glass tube brewer may work on some similar principles of operation. The vacuum/siphon brewers appear to be the closest cousins. Balancing siphons have a "horizontal" orientation that make them look most similar. But they are not the same brewer as the object of my search.

All of the balancing siphons I've looked at use a metal vessel of some kind. The brewer I am searching for was almost 100% glass. There may have been a metal stand below the brewer. Virtually the entire brewer was formed of glass. It may not longer be manufactured or marketed (I do not know). There may only be some examples in a collection somewhere. Or in a used restaurant supply store, sitting in a room and not published on the internet at all.

It will be very exciting when this brewer is found! Thank you again for your replies.

KonaCandleSearcher

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Still looking..

Eldub, thanks for your reply.

The link you posted is an interesting device but it uses cold water method (it's not candle heated) and it uses a cubical design rather than the graceful sloping, maybe 45 degree, glass tubes of the brewer I described. Think of something closer to the balancing siphons and almost "swan-like".

In any case thanks for the link. I appreciate it!

musicman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
That is really funny I am also looking for this coffee maker. My friend received one for their wedding in the uk I only saw it once and was so intrigued by it I have been looking for one since. That was about 20 years ago and I am still looking.

Whatiswhatis where can you see your machine?

Thanks

Latest posts