Eliminating the byproduct, mortar and pestle advice?

scrilla103

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm a huge coffee fanatic, and I'm looking to do this legit for when I go to university in August.

Long story: short
What mortar and pestle process should I use to grind my coffee so it'll be ready to dissolve? I've heard that a series of different materials should be used (wooden, porcelain, etc.) to do this right. Suggestions? Experiences?

Long story: long
After having found out about Starbucks' innovation in marketing their instant coffee, I was set on doing this on my own. For any of you not in-the-know on this, Starbucks has patented a process to grind their coffee so fine, it dissolves in water (even cold). This struck me as pretty impressive and made me think: I'm drinking "coffee"(drip-brew)...no...I'm drinking water that has absorbed and inherited some of coffee's flavors....BUT with the beans actually dissolved in the water, I would actually be drinking coffee. I'm all about doing things, especially things I love, legitimately, and Starbucks instant is in no way cheap enough for an everyday legitimacy venture. And so, I did some research, and found that a mortar and pestle is the best way to go. (I also found some information about grinding causing heat which changes the chemistry, so it made this seem even more of a priority.)
So the question is: which material for a mortar and pestle will get the coffee the finest? Should I use a series of them?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

After this step, it'll be time to find me a quality French press.
And maybe attract some French girls, who'll make me French toast, and serve fresh-legitimate French fries....hmmm....yes...this'll do quite nice.
:lol:

Thanks,
Caleb

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever worked a mortar and pestle? its not something I'd want to do every day just for a cup of joe or two. btw, don't kid yourself, a mortar and pestle does generate heat in the pulverizing process. (I use one for grinding spices occasionally.) Some are rough and some smooth. I believe the rough ones are more common in mexico. The rough surface will assist with the initial break down of the bean, but I'm guessing the smooth mortar will be better for the ultimate fine grind, although it will prolly suffice if only one mortar is desired.

lw

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "scrilla103"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

It's doubtful that you'll be able to get ground coffee beans to dissolve in water, even if you mash them down as fine as you can get them.

Starbucks must be doing something else to the coffee beans to change the chemistry.

I predict that your mortar and pestle idea will last a few days, and then you'll lose interest in using it to create instant coffee.

I'm not too sure about the French Press idea for using very fine pulverized coffee. Let us know how it works out if you try it.

Rose

scrilla103

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks both for the quick replies. :)

@eldub
Can't say I've worked with a mortar and pestle much myself, but I understand that it'll still create some heat in the process. I was thinking of getting a burr grinder down the road some time as well (I think that would be getting the level of heat closer to a minimum). And yes, though I'll initially try and get some sort of instant homebrew going, it's most likely going to be something I do every once in awhile; that would be a lot of work.

@PinkRose
Thanks for the welcome! I did wonder about that. After doing research, they claim to have "microground" their coffee. For all we know, they might just as well have treated them first; I did not consider that. It's a patented process though, so I think I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with any information. And on the French Press, I mixed up my two different ideas I've been planning on trying. French Press is better with more coarse grounds I believe, so that'll be separate.

This will definitely be one of my more interesting projects! Looks like I've got some more research to do. :coffee:

Thanks,
Caleb

Latest posts