I bought Iberital Challenge.*Photo*, please take a look, problem?

kinasko

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Is there supposed to be those black plastic bands? i haven't started it up yet, as i'm affraid something is wrong and that plastic might get crunched down into the blades.

thanks in advance, Oscar.

kinasko

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
ta0k75.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
It almost looks as if a seal/sealant has squeezed out when the upper burr was mated to the burr carrier. Looks as if that grinder is set up so that you turn the upper burr carrier to change dose. If so, unscrew the burr carrier until it's off the grinder. This will give you a better look from the bottom side. Haven't been able to find a parts diagram on that model yet to see what part it could be, if any.

Take the burr carrier and snap a pic or two of how the burr mates with the burr carrier.

kinasko

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
well i got them out, not the best start. Have to say i'm not overly impressed with the buy so far, hopefully the machine works fine and it's just cosmetics

2191ncy.jpg

also the thing where you put the basket is not exactly picture perfect, horizontal as you can see

azbdp3.jpg

kinasko

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
i'm not sure if i understand you correct. But the grinder is an infinite adjustable model, and then it also has a doser/timer adjust. there was no manual in the package, but i will try and google some reviews and check their website. thanks

20s88k7.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yes it is stepless... the knob operates a worm gear that rotates the upper burr carrier back/forth (threaded) to make small changes in grinding. Were the pieces hard/brittle? If so, it's probably some type of sealant or could possibly be the way the manufacturer captures the upper burr in the carrier by molding it in place. Could be the remnants of that.

I'd expect the build quality to be a bit better as well.

kinasko

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
the pieces were a bit hard, but still bendable. Pretty sure it's somekind of sealing as you say, feels like hard plastic fabric.

the machine feels very heavy and sturdy, i'm just a bit disapointed that the basket holder is that out of place. Well it's small stuff, it's supposed to be one of the best grinders at that prizerange and i'm sure it will deliver.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
You can probably loosen a screw or two and tweak it back into place.

The burr carrier is some type of reinforced nylon and they probably heat weld the upper burr into it. It has to be captured somehow and that is probably what squeezed out. As long as the burrs are in proper alignment I wouldn't worry about it. Judging by the pics it looks fine to me.

kinasko

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
it's working really nice! had to make 5-6 shots before tuning it in, but i think it's almost there now. So much easier now than using my manual handgrinder from trespade.