Astoria Gloria Issue

CCCbarista

May 19, 2012
Visit site
We own an Astoria Gloria and yesterday morning it failed to get hot (it's left on 24/7). I think it might be the heating element but have no clue as we didn't get an owner's manual when we bought the cafe four months ago. We currently don't have a service provider either so if you know an approved service provider in the Romney, WV area (eastern panhandle), please let me know ASAp. Thanks!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
How old is the machine? You may want to look at the pressurestat as I'd say they typically wear out faster than a heating element.

If it were me I'd pull panels off and start diagnosing with a digital multimeter to see what's going on, but I can't recommend that due to inherent dangers.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Also see if you have a high limit switch or a bulb switch. Look for a little round clicker with a red button. If its bulb based look for a little square box with up to 6 wires coming off of it. Should have a little red button. Unplug the espresso machine from the wall then press the button to make sure it hasn't popped on you. (Unplugging the machine will keep you safe if your a little timid inside your machine when its live. Just plug it back in when your done.) Almost all machines have one as its mainly the safety switch for a run away pressurestat. When it pops it cuts the power to one leg of the element if its a little popper or to the whole element if its a bulb based switch.

It will click off if the machine over heats and requires you to reset the button. If it did pop it means you have a much more serious issue that needs to be looked at immediately. Most likely the machine didn't fill properly and not enough water was over the element causing an over heat. The bulb based switches will kill the power almost instantly to where the round clicker will take more time because they are usually located on the side of the boiler and are much slower.

If this is the case and you reset, still have no heat, you have round clicker, then your element might be fried. There are tests that can be preformed to see if that's the case. I might suggest you get someone out to look at your machine either way.

Why don't you give Astoria a call and see who's close to you.

General Espresso Equipment Corporation

7912 Industrial Village Road
Greensboro, NC 27409
Tel: 336-393-0224
Fax: 336-393-0295

CCCbarista

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I did email Astoria as I was posting this and they replied mid-day Monday. Monday morning, I cold-called Hobart and asked if they'd send a tech to check it out. He came two hours later but admitted he had never worked on an Astoria. He asked if I had a number for Astoria and called them and got the background on our machine. To make this short, he figured out the problem, got the machine working, ordered some parts we needed and put them in two days later. Invoice for less than $400 and now we have someone who can work on it for us.

I did call Astoria later on and they gave me the name of our "local tech" but that company has been out of business for some time.

davesoroka

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I've got another question about the Astoria Gloria. I'm assuming there's a gasket in the grouphead that needs replacing now and then. Am I right about that? And if I am, how do I go about it? Do I have to take the grouphead apart somehow? There's nothing about this in the manual, but it's getting so I have to really crank the filter into place so it doesn't leak when I pull the lever, so there must be something worn out.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I've got another question about the Astoria Gloria. I'm assuming there's a gasket in the grouphead that needs replacing now and then. Am I right about that? And if I am, how do I go about it? Do I have to take the grouphead apart somehow? There's nothing about this in the manual, but it's getting so I have to really crank the filter into place so it doesn't leak when I pull the lever, so there must be something worn out.

Yes there is a gasket that needs to be replaced. Removing the shower screen and dispersion disc (most machines have one that I know of) will usually allow slightly better access to the gasket as well. The gasket is usually held in place by nothing more than compression from use and you should be able to pry it out. Be careful as the group is more than likely brass and care should be taken not to gouge it. I always liked to backflush the group beforehand as that not only cleans the area, but the water pressure can help break the seal of the gasket, making it pop out easier. You may be able to use a thin blade screwdriver and work it out slowly. I have replaced some that were broken into hardened bits that required me to dig each piece out. That was the result of the owner letting them go WAY too long before replacing. A dental pick or similar tool is helpful as well. After you remove it, clean the channel the gasket resides in and simply press the new gasket into place. Be sure you order/use the exact gasket for your machine as there are slight variations in different brands. *It's best to change gaskets with the machine cold.*

Last edited: