Suggestions on a new drip machine?

VicVinegar

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to see if anyone can offer some advice on a new drip machine. I'd like to not spend a fortune, but am willing to pay for build quality and obviously brew quality. I hate buying pieces of junk that break after 2 years, no matter if it was $30 or $250.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Bonavita BV1800, Bunn Velocity ST or BT, and possibly the Technivorm Moccamaster if my wife wouldn't notice the price tag.

As I said before, I'm concerned with the quality of the brew, the quality of the machine, and I'd like a thermal carafe. Beyond that, I don't care if it is fancy looking, has nice lights on it, or anything else.

Anyone have experience with these? My concern is that the Bonavita might be "cheap" and not last. I've always got the impression Bunn machines are pretty well made, but I don't know anyone personally who owns one. I'm also having a tough time seeing the difference between the ST and the BT, besides the price tag and the way they look. Any downside to the Technivorm besides the price tag? Anyone doubt the Technivorm will be working in 10 years? Thanks for the help.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "VicVinegar"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum website. You will find a lot of useful information here.

If you go up to the top of the page, you will see a search box.

Type the word Technivorm into the box and press Go.

You will see some discussions about that particular coffeemaker. I remembered reading (last year) that one of the forum moderators had a Technivorm and she loved it. I can't seem to find her post, and unfortunately she hasn't been active lately. I'll keep looking.

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For the $ I'd be inclined to go with the Bunn. Some people don't like the fact that alot of Bunn models keep a preheated reservoir of water on tap, but that guarantees optimal/consistent brew temperature. Most units that flash heat the water as it passes through usually can't keep the temperature consistent. Only a few are capable of doing so.