First Espresso Machine, Looking for Advice

scarifiedsloth

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first espresso machine, and after reading some guides, I've determined how to split up my $600 budget: $300 for the machine, $225 for the grinder, and $75 for accessories and some coffee for the first month or so. Since this forum is for machines, that's what I want to get some advice on. I was looking at some reviews on another website, and a handful stood out to me as worth looking at. These include:

Saeco Aroma SS
Gaggia 16109 Evolution
Saeco Via Venezia
Saeco Classico
Breville Cafe Roma
La Pavoni Club Combo

I'd prefer to be able to buy from a common online source, and I'd prefer a new machine. However, if there's a good place to get used machines with some reliability I'd be open to doing that as well. Let me know which of these machines, or any other machine around $300, is recommended.

Thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
What grinder are you considering? True the grinder is an important part of the equation, but I'm not one to tell you to spend $450 of your budget on a grinder and save up for a machine down the road as some will advise. IMO good/fresh coffee and skill come first, then a grinder and machine.

scarifiedsloth

May 30, 2012
Visit site
For the grinder, I was looking at getting a Baratza Virtuoso or a Gaggia MDF. It seems logical to get a good grinder no matter what, because even if I start with a stovetop espresso maker, I will at least be getting a good, uniform grind with enough exposed surface area per mass of coffee.

On a different note, should I, as mentioned, start with a stovetop maker despite the fact that they aren't really the same and don't achieve the type of pressures needed to make "true" espresso, whatever that means? What are the main differences, advantages, and disadvantages of going with a maker rather than a machine (I don't really require espresso while camping or hiking or whatever, which seems to be a primary advantage to a non-electric device)?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "scarifiedsloth"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I read your post a couple of days ago, and I wasn't sure how to reply. I also thought the way that you're planning to divide your available funds is a bit too much for the grinder.

Now I'm wondering what your current coffee preferences are.

What do you order when you go to a coffee shop or cafe? Do you enjoy a straight shot of espresso, or do you prefer espresso based drinks such as mocas, lattes, or cappuccinos?

Have you had any experience with operating an espresso machine?

Before you start investing your money into this adventure, you need to know what you want the end result to be when it comes to your coffee preferences. Your question about a stove-top maker has made me wonder.....

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The MDF is underrated IMO and seems to be a good espresso range grinder for the money. Generally speaking, the flat burrs in the MDF are designed to do really good on fine grinding and will do just OK on coarser settings. Some complain about the stepped grind settings and doser, both of which are just the nature of the beast and can be "cured" if needed.

OTOH the conicals in the Virtuoso are designed to good across the board. Build quality may not be as good as the MDF where it counts.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Rose, espresso requirements are a bit different than any other brew method. Grinders $200 or less will certainly work, but will ultimately be the weak link in the chain. May sound like alot, but not for what is expected.

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought a used espresso/cappucino machine at Goodwill for 9.99$. Does a good job and I consistently make better brews than any coffeehouse I've been to.
I have a blade grinder which I may replace with a burr grinder for more consistency.

My opinion is that your beans are your place to get your flavor from.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Homer"

It sounds like you got a good bargain at Goodwill!

It's amazing that you mentioned that today, because I've spent the past several days collecting stuff at home to take to Goodwill this weekend. I recently donated most of my (almost new) coffee making items. It's good to know that someone will be able to use them.

Rose

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I recently donated most of my (almost new) coffee making items. It's good to know that someone will be able to use them.
Rose

Thanks for the welcome! I like to buy things at goodwill/sallyann a lot of times not only because they are such a bargain but it is also the best way to try something new, such as home brewing espressos, without a huge outlay.

coffee_fanatic

Jun 8, 2012
Michigan
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first espresso machine, and after reading some guides, I've determined how to split up my $600 budget: $300 for the machine, $225 for the grinder, and $75 for accessories and some coffee for the first month or so. Since this forum is for machines, that's what I want to get some advice on. I was looking at some reviews on another website, and a handful stood out to me as worth looking at. These include:

Saeco Aroma SS
Gaggia 16109 Evolution
Saeco Via Venezia
Saeco Classico
Breville Cafe Roma
La Pavoni Club Combo

I'd prefer to be able to buy from a common online source, and I'd prefer a new machine. However, if there's a good place to get used machines with some reliability I'd be open to doing that as well. Let me know which of these machines, or any other machine around $300, is recommended.

Thanks

I think your budget is a bit high for the grinder. You can find a very good one for under $150.00 However, you get what you pay for. You also have to keep in mind the frequency of use. Will you be using it on a daily basis or just once in a while?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For all of you that think the amount set aside for a grinder is too high you clearly haven't tasted the difference a good grinder makes. With drip, press, etc. it won't be as crucial, but espresso is a different animal than other brew methods.

Like I stated before, I'm not one to recommend spending 75% of a budget on the grinder alone, but $225 for an espresso capable grinder is really on the lower end of the spectrum.