Help me pick a grinder!

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've had a Rancilio Silvia for almost a year now, and I love it. But I've been using a crappy blade grinder and I gather from the internet that espresso quality has a lot to do with your grinder.

I'd like to get the Rocky, based on what I've read, but unfortunately $300 is way out of my price range. Can anyone suggest something of comparable quality that is closer to $100? I don't know much about grinders. I'm looking for something small, easy to use, that will ideally deposit the ground beans right into my portofilter.

Cheers!

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Rocky imo isn't good anymore anyway vs others, it's out of date, cheaper grinders that outperform it. No idea how you used a blade grinder with a Silvia which is about the most finicky espresso machine around, you were pry getting shots in 5 seconds lol? But close to 100, nothing but a hand grinder like the Hario Mini Slim (which can be modded), Porlex etc. You'd have to step up to something like the Preciso for the full adjustment for espresso if you really want "espresso" and not fast gushing shots. Breville Smart Grinder and Virtuoso w/ Preciso burrs are the cheapest auto grinders I would use not just for that machine but others for espresso needs but their both going to be in the neighborhood of 200-230.

You may want to watch ebay and see what pops up used, or watch Baratza's site as every Thurs they generally update with refurb models. They have the low end Encore for like 129 or so which can apparently just grind into espresso range, but you really have no adjustment with it

You'll also want to learn temp surfing on the Silvia if you don't have PID, as it's temp variance is outta wack, either too high or too low, have to temp surf it to get it in the 195-205 range. And dosing/weighing your beans, learn those little tricks and you'll make way better shots as you have to watch it on the Silvia basket as the nut will indent into the puck.

Last edited:

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean about the indent.

My shots are not quite long enough with the blade grinder, it's true, but not as bad as 5 seconds haha. Closer to 20-25.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
I know what you mean about the indent.

My shots are not quite long enough with the blade grinder, it's true, but not as bad as 5 seconds haha. Closer to 20-25.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Even if you pull a 25 second shot with the blade grinder it won't taste anywhere near even a $30 hand grinder like the Hario Mini Slim, blade just won't go near fine enough. If your trying to budget for 100 or less def go with a hand grinder, you have to spend north of 200 if you want an auto grinder that can start adjusting for espresso grind (unless you snag a killer deal on Ebay or say CoffeeGeek for a good used grinder).

Mattcoffee

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked out this?

How about Le'Lit PL53, a stepless grinder, which seems to be what is needed for obtaining the proper grind for Silvia.? Still over 100 bucks but maybe what you'll need to save for. Hand grinder, if you wish, will be a better option than simply buying a cheap burr grinder. Please let us know what you decide and good luck.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
The largest portion of your espresso making budget should be spent on the grinder.

Scour CoffeeGeek (first) or Ebay for good prices on a used grinder. You may need to spring for a new set of burrs, but save a little more, it's worth it.

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. Not sure if I want a hand grinder, since I'm barely up to the laborious task of using the Silvia when I first get up (heh...NOT a morning person...) I'm looking at all your suggestions!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Saraluna"

Several people on this Coffee Forum use the Capresso Infinity grinder (myself included)

It may be what you're looking for. Amazon seems to have the best price so far. When I bought mine it was more expensive! If you shop around you may even be able to get it for less. Bed Bath and Beyond often has coupons and Macy's has them on sale from time to time.

Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Rose

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi "PinkRose",

This kind of grinder looks very much like what I'm seeking. However, coffeegeek seems of the opinion that it is not suited to espresso. :/

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I wonder why they would say that.

I know people who use it to grind coffee beans for espresso, and they're happy with it.

You can always buy it - and try it - and if you don't like it - return it!

Rose

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Capreso Infinity def doesn't grind fine enough or more importantly consistantly enough for machines like the Silvia etc. Had one before, it's fine for everything non-espresso. Its fine for espresso machines which have pressurized portafilters (which is where you'll see people saying it works for espresso). With the infinity adjustment you don't really have any play to tune espresso, you either sorta get close or too coarse. Especially as the beans age or different beans in general needing different settings, the 3 last espresso blends I used on my Preciso all have different settings, if I had the Infinity I sorta would have been screwed, could get shots, just won't taste good. Say you need "D" for a bean, one click either direction may give you "B" and "G", make sense? Cheapest new auto grinder for espresso would be the Breville Smart Grinder at around 200 or 20% off if you get a coupon for bed bath beyond. It can grind fine enough, pretty consistant, and more adjustment for eapresso over the infinity.Otherwise hand grinder is your best bet and cheap. You should save more though and find a good used machine.

You can see reviews here pretty much all pointing out its great for non-espresso needs, and similar reviews elsewhere online. http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/capressoinfinity/

How did you acquire the Silvia? B/c new or used it's a pricey machine so just curious how you got it but can't afford/budget for a grinder? Unfortunately it's also one of the most picky/finicky machines around. Even if you get a good grinder you still have to learn temp surfing on it or it's pointless as you'll get extremely bitter or sour shots. The one bad part of the espresso hobby, is grinder capability, need a good adjustable grinder. You can have a $5,000 machine paired with a $100 grinder, but a $100 machine paired with a $300 grinder will far outperform it, it's all about the grinder. Couple hand grinders under 100 that will outperform the Infinity easily and comparable to grinders around the 200 range.

If you can stretch your budget to 250 (pry can even negotiate) there's a Preciso for sale on CG which you cannot beat for the money, I love mine, it compares to grinders costing twice as much for consistency and fineness, and control (macro and micro adjustment to dial your shots in). http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/588916

Last edited:

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Capreso Infinity def doesn't grind fine enough or more importantly consistantly enough for machines like the Silvia etc. Had one before, it's fine for everything non-espresso. Its fine for espresso machines which have pressurized portafilters (which is where you'll see people saying it works for espresso). With the infinity adjustment you don't really have any play to tune espresso, you either sorta get close or too coarse. Especially as the beans age or different beans in general needing different settings, the 3 last espresso blends I used on my Preciso all have different settings, if I had the Infinity I sorta would have been screwed, could get shots, just won't taste good. Say you need "D" for a bean, one click either direction may give you "B" and "G", make sense? Cheapest new auto grinder for espresso would be the Breville Smart Grinder at around 200 or 20% off if you get a coupon for bed bath beyond. It can grind fine enough, pretty consistant, and more adjustment for eapresso over the infinity.Otherwise hand grinder is your best bet and cheap. You should save more though and find a good used machine.

You can see reviews here pretty much all pointing out its great for non-espresso needs, and similar reviews elsewhere online. CoffeeGeek - Capresso Infinity GrinderHow did you acquire the Silvia? B/c new or used it's a pricey machine so just curious how you got it but can't afford/budget for a grinder? Unfortunately it's also one of the most picky/finicky machines around. Even if you get a good grinder you still have to learn temp surfing on it or it's pointless as you'll get extremely bitter or sour shots. The one bad part of the espresso hobby, is grinder capability, need a good adjustable grinder. You can have a $5,000 machine paired with a $100 grinder, but a $100 machine paired with a $300 grinder will far outperform it, it's all about the grinder. Couple hand grinders under 100 that will outperform the Infinity easily and comparable to grinders around the 200 range.

If you can stretch your budget to 250 (pry can even negotiate) there's a Preciso for sale on CG which you cannot beat for the money, I love mine, it compares to grinders costing twice as much for consistency and fineness, and control (macro and micro adjustment to dial your shots in). CoffeeGeek - Members: Buy, Sell and Trade, FS: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso, like new, about 3 months old.

Is this the same machine? Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Conical Burr Coffee Grinder | eBay

The Silvia was a joint xmas gift from my whole family.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Is this the same machine? Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Conical Burr Coffee Grinder | eBay

The Silvia was a joint xmas gift from my whole family.
Yup, just replied to your other post on CG with more info on it.

That is very cool for of your fam to do so. Your already starting off with a way better machine than many do, hell I started with a basic Delongi Bar32 lol. I hope you don't think we, or anyone else are trying to talk down to you, just trying to help as the blade grinder doesn't do that machine justice, or even for drip etc. Is there any reason you don't want a hand grinder? Or are you looking to do shots quicker, or grinder for shots for fam etc, as yeh even though the hand grinders below 100 grind great for espresso, very slow to use. Preciso is an awesome grinder though, you have more adjustment for espresso than you'll ever need.

I used an Capresso Infinity, modded one actually to grind even better, but it just doesn't work well for higher end machines like your Silvia. it'd be better than the blade grinder no doubt, but far outperformed by something like the Preciso which grinds not only fine enough, but consistantly enough. Capresso Infinity works fine for pressurized portafilters, but your machine is not equipped with such (which is a good thing for you).

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yup, just replied to your other post on CG with more info on it.

That is very cool for of your fam to do so. Your already starting off with a way better machine than many do, hell I started with a basic Delongi Bar32 lol. I hope you don't think we, or anyone else are trying to talk down to you, just trying to help as the blade grinder doesn't do that machine justice, or even for drip etc. Is there any reason you don't want a hand grinder? Or are you looking to do shots quicker, or grinder for shots for fam etc, as yeh even though the hand grinders below 100 grind great for espresso, very slow to use. Preciso is an awesome grinder though, you have more adjustment for espresso than you'll ever need.

I used an Capresso Infinity, modded one actually to grind even better, but it just doesn't work well for higher end machines like your Silvia. it'd be better than the blade grinder no doubt, but far outperformed by something like the Preciso which grinds not only fine enough, but consistantly enough. Capresso Infinity works fine for pressurized portafilters, but your machine is not equipped with such (which is a good thing for you).

I researched for ages before deciding to buy Silvia, and my family all chipped in for it, though I must admit I think they were a little flummoxed that it was what I wanted. After having some superb espresso in nyc, namely a flat white at Culture Espresso, I set out to make something really good at home since places near me like Starbucks obviously didn't cut it. I didn't know what I was getting myself into...making a good shot is really way more technical than I initially imagined.

For health reasons, a hand grinder is not ideal because of the time/effort involved, or I would definitely go this route.

Everyone on both forums has been very helpful, you included. I don't profess to be an expert, I've never been a barista, and I've only been making my own espresso in the past year. I'm sure I could progress faster if I had more time/money. It wasn't until after I bought the Silvia that I realized I should have budgeted for a grinder - I had been reading all about espresso machines, but not until I got one did I read more about actually MAKING espresso. Ah well. Live and learn.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Saraluna,

In your original post, you mentioned that you have been using a "crappy blade grinder" to grind the coffee for your Rancilio Silvia machine. So, I'm guessing that practically any grinder would be an improvement.

The Capresso Infinity grinder may not be the ultimate choice, but since your budget is limited, it may end up being the best option for you.

Or, you could wait until your next birthday or holiday and then ask your family to chip in and buy you a better grinder to go along with your espresso machine.

Rose