Vacuum Coffeemaker & Good Coffee To Make With A Vacuum Coffeemaker ?

PuertoRicoCoffee

Aug 9, 2012
California (USA)
Visit site
Hi, today (08/10/2012) I ordered a Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker as I am very interested in making coffee this way. From what I understand this method is the best way to get all the oil and other good things from the coffee pot to your mug.
I first noticed a vacuum coffeemaker like the Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker that is used in Japan especially at the UCC Coffee House. The vacuum coffeemaker they use at the UCC Coffee House is a BONMAC HIKARI Siphon Bar Table and it is basically the same as the Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker (just fancier and more expensive). I am thinking of a number of coffees to make once I get the Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker that I ordered. For example for sure I am looking to get some UCC Coffee, Starbucks Coffee, Café Bustelo, and a few others. As much coffee as I drank most my life (I am 29 and I started at age 13 or maybe even younger) I do NOT consider myself an expert coffee drinker. Maybe soon in the future I can say I am but for now I will like to ask the real coffee drinkers (experts) what you recommend for me to try on my new Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker when I get it. I am very interested in opinions about Vacuum Coffee making from people that have done this. I am also interested in people’s opinions on what coffee is good to make with a Vacuum Coffeemaker.
Thanks in advance to everyone and sorry if this has been asked before but I am new and I was not able to find anything about what I am asking.

Thank You,
:coffeemug:

Last edited by a moderator:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
PuertoRicoCoffee,

The siphon (vac pot) is an excellent way to brew coffee. The Bodum is a good one to begin with as it is easy to find, but in comparison to the Bonmac (made by Hario) or siphon brewers with Japanese glass, the glass is a little frail. The ones used at UCC are not the stove top ones, they are the typical Technica style pots, these pots, which rest above the heat source will produce a more nuanced coffee. The stove top brewers, like the Bodum, tends to add a hint of carbon or bitterness in the cup.

While UCC does much siphon brewing, their coffee is average, although more respectable than Starbucks. Best coffees to use are something fresh and roasted close to you. Use Single Origin coffee rather than a blend. Siphon brewing is best suited for extracting the subtleties present in coffee. Siphon brewing is about creating clarity in the cup, so if your coffee is just "ok" it will be a very noticeable "ok", but if it is excellent coffee and you practice your technique, it will be amazing.

PuertoRicoCoffee

Aug 9, 2012
California (USA)
Visit site
Hi John, I did not know that the vac pots used at UCC are Technica style pots. Thanks for letting me know about that. I am new to vac pots but I also think that the Bodum is a good one for me to begin with. I was (am) thinking of brewing some Café Bustelo but I was told that Espresso coffee will not be a good coffee to brew with a vac pot. I hope this is not a fact. Thank you for your time and help. :star:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
PuertoRicoCoffee,

I would not use an espresso blend in the siphon, and Cafe Bustelo is a poor to very poor quality espresso, and certainly not fresh.

As you are in California, there are many options of excellent roasters, some may even be near where you are at.

Here are some excellent California roasters: Barefoot Coffee Roasters, Intelligentsia, Ritual, Four Barrel, Verve, and Handsome Roasters. It's this level of quality that you will want to use with the siphon. Look them up, you will find what you need.

PuertoRicoCoffee

Aug 9, 2012
California (USA)
Visit site
John, Thank you very much for your reply. This was the answer I was looking for. I am happy to know that Cafe Bustelo is a poor to very poor quality espresso and that I should not use espresso blends in the siphon (Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker).
Also thank you for the list of Coffee Roasters I will look them up. My Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker is still new in the box as I not only need some good coffee for it but I also need a heat diffuser as it is recommended for use with the Bodum Pebo Santos Stovetop Vacuum Coffeemaker.
Soon I will get everything. Once again thanks John for your help and time. Bye for now.

Thank You,
PuertoRicoCoffee :coffee-bean:

Last edited:

Latest posts