FYI: Best in class HX espresso machine, or "how not to increase your grey hair"

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
FYI: Best in class HX espresso machine, or "how not to increase your grey hair"

I rarely see it mentioned on coffeegeek or HB, but thought I'd share. I've made the long slog of incremental espresso machine upgrades: krupses, gaggias, Silvia, Expobar Pulser, and now, finally, the Astra Pro.

First off, I'd like to save whoever is reading a lot of heartache and say: avoid Silvia. She gets so much play in coffee forum, but I'll tell you, after 4 years with her, it's undeserved. Silvia sucks. I'd rather have a $220 Gaggia. She runs hot, and brews at too high a pressure from the factory; in other words, she has two jobs, and does neither right. Reproducible results? Never!

But on to the Astra Pro. $1200 gets you the last machine you'll ever need. Built in California from solid stainless, it's a tank. 2.6l stainless boiler, E61 group, Sirai pressurestat, English fittings (not soldered!), high quality wiring, excellent internal layout, etc. It's a steam monster, steaming 5oz milk in, oh, 10 sec or so. It recovers FAST. It can do espresso drinks all day long, and easily service parties (though for more intensive use their Gourmet series would be a better idea). I've served 40 people at a party, and more at weddings, with my pro. Bonus? It's beautiful, and very compact for having a massive, honking boiler.

You'd have to spend $500+ more to approach the quality of the Astra Pro, and even then, it won't be made as well, work as well, or prouce a better cup.