what questions should we ask at handover?

lispurple

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
We will be getting the keys to a coffee shop we will be leasing on Friday and the current leaseholders will be doing handover, checking inventory etc. I want to take a check list of questions, what are the important questions that we should ask?

Congratulations on your new endeavour! I hope it all goes better than expected. Check all equipment even those in storage to be functional. If this is a bit difficult to do straight away maybe ask if they will pay for any repairs that need doing if the said functional stored equipment is found faulty within the first week or so to give you a chance to check them. Find out what equipment has been serviced and when you will need to do so again. Ask about any staff that may not be up to it. Get a building inspection done specifically checking the compliance of the electrical system as if the place burns down you may find you are not covered and all your savings are up in smoke. We recently renovated a newly purchased business and where stunned at what we found. Luck the whole thing didn't go up in flames. This was our biggest overlooked potential problem that would have caused the failure of the business. Ask about the different things they have tried in the past and what they found in doing this. The situation may have changed or they may not have approached it in a way that would be successful. Find out the most recent compliance relating to having staff. Ask about the health inspector to see if he/she is reasonable or a pain. Ask where all the junctions are for the power, phones and water. Ask about any website/face book passwords. Who they have done business in the past and why they are good/ bad to work with. Maybe ask what the conditions of any accounts with suppliers are and have been. Who have they found to be good to work with re website design, promotional materials. Also simply what they would focus on in a perfect world to improve the business. Ask about the water in the area, what filters they have tried and how they have maintained the coffee machine. have they tried different coffee in the past and what did they find. Have they had any security issues/break-ins. Also simply if they are happy for you to give them a buzz if you require any advice. Cheers and Good luck!

Last edited:

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I may have come to this too late, today being Saturday, but you didn't specifically say which Friday so for what it's worth . . .

Beyond the very thorough list above I've found that asking, "Are there any questions I should be asking you but that I haven't?" often brings out some interesting responses. Usually they are small things, "Oh, I forgot to tell you about . . ." kind of things but occasionally it is a big thing.

If you find there is a long pause and the owners are casting quick back-and-forth glances at each other you'll at least know you've struck a nerve and that there may be something amiss that they haven't disclosed to you and you'll need to start digging. If you have to start digging then everything they've told you up to now would have to be suspect.

I would expect you've spent a lot of time in the shop and know the customer mix but I'd ask about unique or problem customers. Also in building the business I'd ask them what they have tried and what did and didn't work. What didn't work for them may work for you, and vise-versa, depending on who you are and who they are, but you might find some patterns in what did and what didn't work. You'll know what positives to continue pursuing and what negatives to avoid or maybe try later in your own way.

Finally, even tho' your excited to get going and get in, don't be afraid to walk away. I was afraid once and plowed ahead even tho' the little voice inside me was yelling 'STOP!' my heart overruled my head and it cost me quite. An expensive lesson to say the least in more ways than one.

Best wishes on the new venture!

Last edited: