Looking into opening a coffee shop

Coffeemeplease

Nov 3, 2012
Miami
Visit site
Hey everyone,Before anyone calls me out I have read plenty on this forum and plan on continuing to do so, just curious if anyone wants to put in their 2 cents.With that being said a I'm looking to start up a coffee shop but it would not just be your ordinary coffee business, my family has been producing coffee in Central America for the past 3 generations and I, being born in the USA and graduating from college here i feel its time for our business to finally become vertically integrated and provide a true seed to cup experience. I also have experience with roasting and some barista skills but I know they would def need some reinforcing. Has this been done before? Any pointers? As of now my trouble areas are importing and exporting.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Coffeemeplease"

Welcome! I like your choice for a user name for this forum!

It's great that you've already been exploring the threads here. We have a lot of experienced people here who I'm sure will be glad to offer their 2¢ worth.

So, keep on asking questions and participating in the discussions, and you'll quickly obtain a lot of useful information.

Rose

Coffeemeplease

Nov 3, 2012
Miami
Visit site
Thank you Rose!Yes after reading a bunch of articles I can def tell that everyone here is very informed and welcome any knowledge people are willing to give me.Thanks again!Daniel

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Coffeemeplease;
So it is my understanding that you will be importing coffee from your family into the US. Which country are they from in Central America? How much coffee do they produce? Do you plan on just 1 retail coffee store or do you plan on roasting and selling wholesale? Do you plan on selling green beans wholesale?
Just a few questions so that we may better understand your business plan and questions.
Brian

Coffeemeplease

Nov 3, 2012
Miami
Visit site
Hello Brian,Thanks for post! To give some more info yes I would be trying to import the green beans into the US from Nicaragua. Then the idea is to roast ourselves and sell at a cafe which would also be ours potentially wholesale accounts like small supermarkets will be pursued but its not a immediate focus. As of now I am looking into one location on the east coast but definetely would like to expand in the future. We would be entering the specialty market my families coffee has placed multiple times in the cup of excellence and we produce about 2 containers of specialty 84-94 grade pacamara and catura. As of now our coffee is all ready being enjoyed here in the US by many roasters on the west coast but I am looking into branching off and doing something on my own with a bit of the coffee here on the east coast.Hope this gives a bit more background Daniel

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Daniel;
Sounds like you are well on your way. You seem like you have put alot of thought into your prospective business. Hope all goes well and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Brian