Need Roaster and Bean Advice

dmoney2

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I own a seasonal bakery with a well established and loyal client base.
I have been infatuated with the idea of roasting our own beans. I thought it would wear off in the past month but it has not.

We serve a morning brew, sumatra, decaf and some flavored blends of Wicked Joes. It is fantastic coffee for our purposes.
Our customers are not bean snobs - they just want a GOOD FRESH CUP.

That coffee does however seem to be back ordered too often now, and that is a problem for us.

We brew ~230 pounds of coffee mostly in July and August. 90% of that is Regular or Jamacian Me Crazy - a Cream/Vanillla/Kahlua type creation.

I could probably sell another 200-300 pounds wholesale or off season or to other retailers in the area (if I wanted to).

Should I go for the "Nesco" 1/3 pound roaster for $170 and just suck it up for a year and see how it goes?
Or should I go more for the SonoFresco 1lb for $2,000 plus $400 installation and make the roaster a "focal point" of our retail area.

Lastly, where could I get 200-400 pounds of decent beans and the flavorings at a reasonable price? I have been searching, but I am afraid to jump into business with just anyone.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Please share your experience here or you can email me and let me know how it went.
[email protected]

I am very interested in knowing but I don't know if the sonofresco is good enough to accommodate your size of business.

If you want to make the move, i would jump into much better roaster with more control....