How To Manufacture K Cups - Small Business

daltonclaybrook

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a few friends who own a coffee shop who also package and sell their own roasts. I think it would be an awesome idea for them to be able to manufacture K-Cups and sell them in their storefront. They obviously don't have the resources to outsource the task to a factory or something on that scale. Does anyone know of a way a small business like that could go about creating K Cups?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If the manufacturing is not too difficult, this would be great for coffee shops located in the mall, busy strip center or even high traffic road to promote your own coffee..... Thanks... I will also look into this...

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It would not be very difficult for the micro scale. You can have all of them in generic box and print sticker for the different coffee house for the box sale. What would be price on these????

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Actually it would be impossible. Unless things have changed with K cups. If you want to produce them you have to go through Green Mountain. When I was with my last company we approached them to do this for us. When we told them we produced about 80,000 to 100,000 lbs a month they said we were too small.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
There is a company called cafejo in Santa Anna Ca. I know they package pods for small roasting companies, but I don't know about the k-cups.

rbonora

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would like to contact you

How do I get in contact with you.

Actually, (as I stated) my company is doing it, and I am not GMCR. So it is quite possible. We are doing it and have a growing clientele.

I will be more than happy to speak directly with anyone who is interested in getting pricing on your coffee in a single serve package (k-cup) or we can supply our coffee and have it private labeled (or generically labeled, if at all) and shipped to you for retail and/or distribution.

The issues with micro scale are not solely the set up with art work and labeling, although these do contribute to your per unit cost, and the smaller the run, the larger impact this has. The cost concerns with micro runs is that there is a threshold at which the combination of shipping cost, labeling, and higher per unit production costs (due to the inverse of economy of scale) can reach a point where you simply cannot sell the product and make a profit.

Our objective right now is to secure accounts that can manage our current minimum volumes, and as our market matures, we may find ourselves in a position to reduce our minimums more and more to accomodate the entire spectrum of possible clients. This is why it is important for us to communicate. I want to know what your market is, what you believe you can do with a single serve program, and what your growth prospects are. With this information, we can make a well structured risk assessment in determining our minimum volume going forward.

To address your cost question, I will need to speak with you further. Please contact me directly for more info. Thanks.

RayJay

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually it would be impossible. Unless things have changed with K cups. If you want to produce them you have to go through Green Mountain. When I was with my last company we approached them to do this for us. When we told them we produced about 80,000 to 100,000 lbs a month they said we were too small.

Hi Topher,

When you talked to Green Mountain which group did you contact? Also, did they indicate what would be an acceptable amount for monthly product (e.e. 80-100 lbs?)