From Aus to NY

Floatncoffee

Jan 13, 2013
Melbourne
Visit site
Hi there long time reader first time poster
names Ryan I'm a kiwi living in Melbourne Australia I own and run 2 coffee shops with my wife..
We are looking at selling up, moving to New York (somewhere) and opening up another shop and start aagain
we were wondering what the industry is like in NY?
We only make your simple espresso coffee, using good quality beans and milk, we are interested in hole in the wall style shops as our shop now is drive thru

does anyone know of any shops for sale or know of any good site avalible?? Any busy roads that have areas to pull over to maybe grab a coffee and continue driving..

im just testing the water at the moment, still inquiring about visas etc so just starting the process. any help would be great
:)
happy extracting
Ryan

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Ryan,

Welcome!

As you will soon discover, this is a great place to test the water.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your move. Is there a special reason why you've chosen New York as a place to relocate and open a coffee shop?

Rose

Floatncoffee

Jan 13, 2013
Melbourne
Visit site
Thanx rose :)
no real reason for choosing NY other than some feedback I've had from customers traveling there.
Plus I've always like the fast paced atmosphere ..(I guess a little bit of American TV influence too)

there is a big diffecnce between Australian coffee culture and American coffee culture, so ill be posting threads with all type of questions llol thanx again for the warm welcome
Ryan

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Welcome Ryan!!!!!
I used to own few properties in NYC.
So i will give you heads up....
I am assuming you want to open in Manhattan or surrounding area...

First, depends on where but your rent rate will be 3-10 more then what you are used at paying. So you are going to need tons of money to last a year.
For example: I managed a building near West Broadway and Canal street. First floor was around 1,700 sqft of usable space and we were asking around 20,000 dollars per month. And that was around 4 years ago.
Second, you will have tons of competition. And also tons of customers. Most of the coffee house in little Italy will sell coffee that is ok because they do not have time to do their own roasting... and they are very very busy....

I did little search for you....

RETAIL PLACE FOR RENT IN THE HIGH TRAFFIC AREA***FREE RENT Typical rental rate in NYC
BAR / RESTAURANT FOR SALE! CORNER LOCATION! FULL LIQUOR LICENSE! This is little away from the NYC and you can see the rent being reflected.....
Cafe/Coffee Shop: Business For Sale in New York on BizBuySell.com THis is the only coffee house for sale in NYC.... Check with their broker if he has any other for sale or know any other one if you are really interested moving to NYC

Good Luck

Last edited:

Floatncoffee

Jan 13, 2013
Melbourne
Visit site
Thanx for the Welcome CoffeeJunky

no im not looking at inner city due to rent prices ill be new to the country i dont want to go straight to the high end. just start off small and build as i have done here in melbourne... the last link you sent is at the top of my price range but still do-able..
just be looking for surrounding areas Staten Island yonkers etc.. my wife is looking hard at staten island..

our shop is quite unique which was the plan i had 6 years ago, i built the shop/s myself i developed a model/plan that at the time sounded to good to be true but with persistance and believe (together with gut busting work) it worked and exceeded my expectations..

im looking to replicate my ideas in USA with a little tweaking to suit a different people of course..

cheers
Ryan