Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Purchase unroasted coffee in bulk

This is a discussion on Purchase unroasted coffee in bulk within the Coffee Industry Forum forums, part of the Coffee Industry category; Greatly appreciate it..!...

Greatly appreciate it..!

2. # ADS

just saw 1kg machine for sale on the thread.... check it out... Not bad price at 2500 dollars.... and shipping should be under 200 dollars

Keep this in mind........

A 1 kg machine will yield approx. 1.87 lbs of roasted beans per load. If you roast for eight hours straight you could produce a maximum of 4 batches per hour X 8 hours or roughly 60 lbs of beans for sale. (Prolly more like 45 lbs., imo.) If you roast 50 lbs per day for five days, you can produce 250 lbs of beans. But if you are roasting full time, someone else has to be bagging, selling and delivering the product.

With a 5 kg machine, you can roast that same 250 lbs in eight hours. Then you have the rest of the week to do the other tasks necessary to make a business work.

Eldub is absolutely right but my point is to start the business with low budget and when you get busy, (like selling 200 pound of coffee a week) you can get a new roaster and you won't have hard time selling smaller roaster to someone else without losing too much money on it..... but if you have enough cash available, I would get 10kg machine....

I second the idea that trying to import beans yourself is biting off a too much at one time. Cafe Imports or Royal Coffee NY is a good option. However, even that may be too much investment. It depends on your volume. You can also work out a bulk purchase price (if they don't already have it posted) with smaller companies like Sweet Marias, Coffee Bean Corral, The Captain's Coffee (that's me, full disclosure...), and several others.

I know of several small roasters locally that don't sell enough coffee yet to justify a full pallet of green coffee so they do this to save on their shipping. Depending on where you live, there just might be someone local enough to make it worth a drive to pick up your own green coffee. This way, you can purchase enough to last only a couple months so that you can stay current with harvest seasons as well as mitigate your risk with having a lot of inventory on hand. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to buy a coffee you really want because you have to move the old stuff you still have on hand.

Good luck!

I started with a bread maker conversion (google it!) Anyway, now we're up to a 3k roaster in the Diedrich Ir-3 and it's worked out great! I do maybe 40 lbs / wk or so ad it's the perfect size. I only roast once a week so it works well for my needs.
    Thanks!

I have a coffee shop in Atlanta and I'm interested in roasting and distribution. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

If you want a good used 2 kg. roaster you can get a nice Coffee-Tech Solar Model (2 kg.) All electric for between $3500-4000. These are nice units if you have limited space to roast or don't want to start with a gas roaster. You can get a brand new one of these normally $10,000 for about $7000 plus shipping. These are very high quality units made in Isreal and imported here to USA. If you prefer a fluid roaster I recommend the Artisan 6 by coffee crafters. Not everyone here on this forum like fluid bed but I like & use both types.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads