Results 1 to 6 of 6
- 02-08-2013 06:48 AM #1
quality and quantities of beans used in coffee shops
Hi I am new to the forum and indeed to the coffee world. I have just started a business importing ready roasted, high quality arabica beans from Colombia to the UK and am looking to distribute them to retailers and or coffee shops. I wondered if anyone can tell me what sort of products are mostly used in independent coffee houses and the quantities? Eg: for an espresso machine what size bags, and how many would you go through on a daily basis?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also if anyone is interested in trying out my coffee feel free to inbox me.
- 02-08-2013 06:48 AM # ADS
- 02-08-2013 07:28 AM #2
Can't speak for the UK, but in the US, most independent coffee shops want freshly roasted beans. (Not roasted before import.) And most use blends for the espresso developed specifically for that application.
- 02-08-2013 07:47 AM #3
Most of the independent coffee house use anywhere from 5 pounds - 20 pounds of roasted coffee a day. This number should cover about 90 percent of the coffee house.
And the quality usually matters a lot. that means that would like to purchase from local roasters to ensure the best and fresh quality of beans....
- 02-08-2013 10:42 AM #4
Thanks for the info. What is the average shelf life once the beans have been roasted? (bearing in mind that once roasted they are immediately packaged and sealed prior to export)
Would a coffee shop normally buy packaged coffee beans (500g bags) for grinding and making drinks, or do they prefer to purchase them in unsealed containers?
- 02-08-2013 10:52 AM #5
We buy 5-10 pound bags and once its roasted, I believe you compromise the quality after about 1-2 weeks... Some coffee house don't really care to know when they are roasted but if you are a coffee house who cares about the quality, they would not buy roasted imported coffee beans....
- 02-08-2013 08:38 PM #6
We sell beans wholesale to shops/restaurants in 5lb. bags. (2,240g)
- By ajuelfs in forum Coffee Beans & Espresso BeansReplies: 31Last Post: 02-04-2015, 11:45 AM
- By charliepig in forum Coffee Shops, Espresso Bars & CafesReplies: 0Last Post: 02-08-2013, 06:46 AM
- By she.roasts in forum Coffee Shops, Espresso Bars & CafesReplies: 2Last Post: 01-17-2009, 01:13 PM
- By Krikorian International in forum Coffee Industry ForumReplies: 0Last Post: 01-09-2006, 01:25 AM
- By Krikorian International in forum Business to Business B2BReplies: 0Last Post: 01-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.