How to find out traffic count on streets for possible cafe?

Bontchimuz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Greetings all -

I am curious how someone interested in a cafe/drive thru would be able to find out total traffic count on streets when looking for locations?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-B

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
B-

Your city should have traffic data, especially if it is a main street. Either through a city/state gov website or through dept of transportation office in your area.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If you can't get the traffic count from your municipality or state traffic safety office, you can always park your car at the location and count the traffic that goes by. Morning hours, rush hours, evening hours, weekends, etc. It takes time, but it can be done.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
lol... the easiest way to find out is to call your real estate agent that you bought your house from and ask him for the information.... That way you don't have to spend money on the car counts.... lol

Last edited:

Randy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Bontchimuz

This is my first post on this forum but I'm am doing the exact same thing. You can get the counts from brokers in the area or you could spend a couple of days doing it yourself and you won't second guess the numbers. You can buy a hand held tally counter and click it for every car or you can download a tally counter app on your smartphone. (they are free) I counted 37 sales in 15 minutes from 2:45 - 3:00 on a Friday at a Starbucks a few blocks away from my prospective location. This week I am going to get morning traffic and sales counts at Starbucks and afternoon traffic counts at my location. The next day I will switch them so I can get a good idea of what the green monster is doing compared to available traffic then take 1/3 of that ratio and apply it to my available traffic. This is my first time in retail and in coffee so please don't take that calculation as an industry standard. The usual ratios I have seen thrown around are .5% - 1.5% of available car traffic. My location will be in a metro area with only foot traffic so that % will be skewed. John P. seems to have a pretty good idea though if you are only looking for vehicle traffic. IMO I would spend one day there anyways just to confirm.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Bontchimuz

This is my first post on this forum but I'm am doing the exact same thing. You can get the counts from brokers in the area or you could spend a couple of days doing it yourself and you won't second guess the numbers. You can buy a hand held tally counter and click it for every car or you can download a tally counter app on your smartphone. (they are free) I counted 37 sales in 15 minutes from 2:45 - 3:00 on a Friday at a Starbucks a few blocks away from my prospective location. This week I am going to get morning traffic and sales counts at Starbucks and afternoon traffic counts at my location. The next day I will switch them so I can get a good idea of what the green monster is doing compared to available traffic then take 1/3 of that ratio and apply it to my available traffic. This is my first time in retail and in coffee so please don't take that calculation as an industry standard. The usual ratios I have seen thrown around are .5% - 1.5% of available car traffic. My location will be in a metro area with only foot traffic so that % will be skewed. John P. seems to have a pretty good idea though if you are only looking for vehicle traffic. IMO I would spend one day there anyways just to confirm.

Best first post ever!
Things to keep in mind
-someimes a couple blocks are equivalent to a couple miles
-Coffee sales will be heavily shifted to thr left, meaning am
-have large samples unless you are just verifying other numbers
-Say Sbux is doing $2.5 daily, $800 might be a little aggressive sales forecast initially. Food / produc mix / afternoon tyoe drinks will also play a bit part.
-are you by hirises?
-will you be seving lunch or near to vendors that would?

seems like you are on the right track
best of luck

Randy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Shave,

I've been reading posts on this forum for a couple of days and you have definitely done quite a bit so it's good to hear that. A little background on me, I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps., a few years in banking, and 5 years in sales. I'm finishing my degree in Accounting in May and about a month ago (yes I'm a fresh newbie lol) I decided to start running numbers on a coffee shop. I prefer business settings and working morning and lunch crowds so the spot I'm researching is Downtown. Basically there is a 7 mile tunnel network under downtown with restaurants, shops, you name it. It's open Monday - Friday roughly 7 am - 6 pm. There are a few Seattle's Best and Starbucks but no independent high quality coffee and tea shops. The part I've started negotiations for a space in claims roughly 3,500 pedestrians every lunch day but I obviously need to verify counts and see what the heavy hitters are doing. Due to heavy heavy renovations I wouldn't be able to move in until November but that gives me plenty of time to get counts, research roasters, get training myself, and hire a top notch barista with 5 years experience so my clients get 1st class from day one. I plan on working the shop everyday as well but I won't pretend to know everything about daily operations and will more than gladly pay for it so I can learn and my clients can benefit. I have a million and one questions like most people on here but I'm first pulling together my research, checking topics that have already been posted, and trying to get a general idea of whats out there before I become "that guy" that asks something that has been posted 1,000 times. I have quotes en route from a few roasters as well as ball park figures for rent so once I compile all of that I plan on posting on a regular basis as kind of a living journal during this journey. Thanks again for those suggestions and I look forward to seeing more of your posts. Correct me if I'm wrong but you are transitioning to a Brick and Mortar store and in the process of selling your truck right?