New Jersey requirements for roasting business

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
Working on a plan to open a small roasting business in NJ and I'm trying to find out what the state will require for this type of business. Anyone have any info or can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

My current plan is to setup shop in an unused area of a friends business. It's a beverage warehouse that has running water and a restroom, but not in the room I would be using.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Jettore"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

We have many experienced roasters on this forum who have jumped through the hoops of setting up their shops.

Where in New Jersey will you be setting up your roasting business? Each county and municipality have different rules and regulatons. Are you going to be a part of your friends business or are you setting up your business separately?

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
As long as you have Electric and Gas line, it will work but as Rose have stated above, you have to check with the city and make sure you get the all the inspections before you start the roasting business. Good Luck

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Contact your local Health Dept. If you are roasting to sell beans, you will prolly need a food license, be it wholesale or retail. In our state, a wholesale food license requires a two hole sink, employee hand washing station, etc. A retail license requires a three hole sink. Some states require an afterburner for your roaster.

Laws in your state may vary, but I doubt it will be as easy as CJ makes it out to be above.

lw

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Did i make that sound easy??? lol
I have started small internet cafe few years ago and wanted to serve some free chip and coffee and they made me put in three hold sink, double water fountain, two bathrooms, one mop sink, and tons of other things that require too damn much to put in so I simply decided to NOT to offer free food.... lol

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
As long as you have Electric and Gas line, it will work

I think you really mean, "as long as you have electric and gas line as well as two or three hole sink, employee hand wash station, bathroom, floor drain and a ton of other things, possibly including an afterburner, it will work."

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think you really mean, "as long as you have electric and gas line as well as two or three hole sink, employee hand wash station, bathroom, floor drain and a ton of other things, possibly including an afterburner, it will work."

Yeah.... Eldub how do you read my mind..... or get outta my head.... lol

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL Maybe I'm like herpes.... Not always visible, but always there. (However, if I'm in your mind, maybe syphilis would be a better analogy.)

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
I'm currently looking at a location in Camden, so camden county. It would be a separate business from what is currently operating in the warehouse, so I'm not sure how that will be handled by health dept. There is a 2 hole sink and bathroom, but its not in the part of the warehouse we would be using. It is connected in an adjacent section and accessible though.

We are starting off with a small 2k machine. Would an afterburner be needed on a small roaster?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you would need an afterburner on that small of a roaster. However, you still should contact the state to learn more about the requirements for setting up shop in your desired location, imo.

When we set up our roasting operation here in Iowa, finding a suitable location for our 12 kg roaster was one of the hardest parts of puting our plan into action.