Blue mountain roasting issue

kabiriver

Apr 26, 2013
Blind River
Visit site
Few years ago a friend brought me back some green beans from his trip up the blue mountain in Jamaica. I roasted them and it was like drinking fine silk! Unbelievably excellent!! He went back this past February & brought me back some more, from the same farm, and not so good! When I roast them there is also a pale streak down the middle underside of the bean. The bean looks normal before roasting, and I've tried different roasting times...strange! anyone have an idea?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Different years produce different results. Maybe the current crop experienced bad weather at critical production times.

It's also possible that the estate in question has increased production by sourcing inferior beans from lower fields or included unripe berries.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I just got about a pound of Blue Mountain and mine turned out fine. Typical great coffee with very nice aroma and great flavor. I didn't find anything different from past few years. I also roasted my own. Light roast

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
One thing I have found is that the coffee you purchase at the country of origin is not always as nice as what they export. People constantly say they can get Hawaiian Kona for $5 a lb in Hawaii. I can tell you that they are not getting extra fancy Kona for that price.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I totally agree with Topher.

I purchased Kona coffee for around 4 dollars a pound in Hawaii. There is no way that was Kona coffee... lol.. I only bought 10 pounds and when I roasted the beans, they were nice but flavor was not nearly as good as Kona coffee.
I purchased blue mountain coffee here in US. They are wonderful without second guessing if i got the right bean.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I remember reading that the best part of the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee crop is exported for sale and the rest remains there to be sold in Jamaica.

When I read that, it reminded me of when my mother used to bake cookies for the holidays, and the best ones went to the neighbors, and the burnt and broken ones stayed home for us to eat.

Rose