Coffee Con 2013

HRC

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I went to Coffee-Con 2013 this past weekend. Did anyone else make it? I was most interested in George Howell’s seminar (3 hours), which included three separate tastings, and was very informative. Essentially, it was a primer about the crop-to-cup process.

The first tasting compared fruit grown at differing elevations; from 2000 ft Sumatran to 5000+ ft Central Americans and Africans. The second tasting gave us the opportunity to try ripe vs unripe and natural vs washed from the same farm. The last tasting contrasted current season beans (ground fresh) with the same beans ground 5 days earlier and beans that were frozen green for several years.

I tried some very nice coffees and espressos from all the vendors and met some new people. I sampled some “siphon” brewed coffee and bought a Sowden immersion brewer which is kinda like a press without the press. I didn’t make it to any classes but the experience was great! Oh, I didn’t get the chance to try Kopi Luwak but Mr. Howell had a fun comment on it, “Made by assholes, for assholes.”

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
HRC,

Thanks for stopping by my booth at Coffee Con. It was fun place to be past weekend.
I actually did try their Kopi Luwak twice there. And I thought again this was one of the most interesting experience with coffee.
I had Kopi Luwak twice before and I still don't think this is "THE BEST COFFEE" in my opinion but very interesting coffee.
It has very mild coffee flavor but strong taste. Does that make sense to anyone?
I do like way it taste but never really thought it was mind blowing experience and still don't think that way.

If you have not tried the "KOpi Luwak" you should try at least once in your life time but I wouldn't pay twice for the price sakes.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Coffee Con 2013

This was the first time I have attended Coffee Con.
Actually, this was their second time having this event in Warren ville Illinois.

It does lack of few things like, good restaurants, fun for the kids, and few other things but over all, it was very nice event if you love coffee.

I met around 300-400 people who were interested in Siphon coffee making. I had them try siphone way of brewing verse Drip brewing using same coffee. Everyone who tried this have noticed big difference in taste. I am not trying to promote my product but Siphon brewing in general.
If you have not tried siphon coffee before, I encourage you to try and let me know your thoughts.

CJ

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes, I don't know if you were able to try side by side test with drip brew from Regular coffee. I knew there are differences but when I did try side by side test, it really made huge differences.