How big of a risk is a coffee trailer?

Kysalaz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm 18. just got out of high school, getting some certifications but I would really like to start a coffee trailer business. I have even looked up cost for everything! I have been drinking coffee since I was 4 and I love it but I'm scared that this idea might fail. My town only has tourists during the summer, an hour away is a town with tourists year round, but both my town and the other are small and locals don't have much money. I plan on going to different events and parking in the downtown area in the busy town at least 4-5 days a week. Downtown has offices and courthouse as well as all kinds of tourist attractions. Does anyone know the success rate? Or have any business ideas relating to coffee? I would love to hear them!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Kysalaz"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

You will find a lot of helpful informaiton here. We have a handy search feature that's at the top right corner of your screen. If you type in your search topic, you will see some of the past discussion areas.

It sounds like you've started seriously thinking about operating a coffee trailer. In your introduction, you mentioned that you're 18. However, you didn't mention if you've had any coffee or restaurant experience. You also didn't mention how you're planning to fund the coffee trailer adventure. Do you have a business partner?

The coffee trailer idea has potential, but there's a lot of risk involved . . . . even more so if you don't have experience and if you don't have a strong cash flow.

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You say you live where the locals do not have much money. Who would you have supply your coffee? Is there a local roaster? Have you started to price out your equipment? How much do you have to play with? Would this be your only income source? Look into what permitting you need as well. I saw a guy sink all sorts of money into a coffee cart and tried to set up in downtown. Shut down in less than an hour...poor planning will sink you. Good luck and keep us updated.

HRC

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah be very cautious and thorough with your research. In my locale, you can't run a truck unless you already have a brick-and-mortar business. Like Topher said, don't sink any "real" money into the idea until you've done your due diligence concerning permits and the like.

Kysalaz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello "Kysalaz"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

You will find a lot of helpful informaiton here. We have a handy search feature that's at the top right corner of your screen. If you type in your search topic, you will see some of the past discussion areas.

It sounds like you've started seriously thinking about operating a coffee trailer. In your introduction, you mentioned that you're 18. However, you didn't mention if you've had any coffee or restaurant experience. You also didn't mention how you're planning to fund the coffee trailer adventure. Do you have a business partner?

The coffee trailer idea has potential, but there's a lot of risk involved . . . . even more so if you don't have experience and if you don't have a strong cash flow.

Rose

Hey Rose!
i have worked in both a coffee shop and restaurant. I'm planning to attempt getting a micro loan, I have about 40,000 saved

Kysalaz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
You say you live where the locals do not have much money. Who would you have supply your coffee? Is there a local roaster? Have you started to price out your equipment? How much do you have to play with? Would this be your only income source? Look into what permitting you need as well. I saw a guy sink all sorts of money into a coffee cart and tried to set up in downtown. Shut down in less than an hour...poor planning will sink you. Good luck and keep us updated.
Hey Tropher! I did include everything in my pricing. I am getting my fitness training certifications and taking classes to become a nutritionist. I plan to work with people through the web since video chat can be accessed almost anywhere, most people need one on one customized help and can't afford it so I won't charge alot....I was thinking that I would only make around 20,000 a year with this.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Kysalaz,

You plan to make $20,000 a year with which endeavor? The fitness and nutrition training or the coffee trailer?

I'm also amazed that you're only 18 and you've saved $40,000.

It sounds like you've very energetic and a go-getter. Best wishes to you!

Rose

Kysalaz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
The fitness trainer, I want to give people the best of both a fitness plan and nutrition plan for a low price. And thanks! I think I'm going to take the chance, it's something I've wanted to do for a very long time!
best wishes

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
anybody can sell coffee. what you need to know is if your coffee is good and stands out above the rest in your area. Does the coffee trailer have an espresso machine included with it? you already have one good thing going for you, AMBITION! I would go for it Kysalaz. :)

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Your passion and drive make me think that you're going to land on your feet no matter what you do. And The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress when consulted about businesses to start she says -- food, health, and weight loss -- so it seems you're covering all the bases (the cemetery business is a growth business too but not something I think I'd want to be around day-in-day-out).

Besides the very good advice above -- stick with Topher, from his posts you can see he's been around the coffee block several times and his advice is always PRACTICAL, you can put it to use -- I'd favor the town with year round business possibilities. And if you can park your truck in one place then you're always easy to find.