Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
Well, you don't have to have a degree in anything to open a shop :-D

Things that would be helpful,
Business admin degree
food service/ restaurant type degree

lots of "life experience" in the area.

Having or not having a degree isn't going to guarantee success or failure.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
A business background is always helpful, also restaurant or food service experience is benefitial.

en·tre·pre·neur    :wink:
n.
A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.

There are some coffee schools that cater to those who are opening a coffee retail business, http://www.coffeeschool.org is the American Barista & Coffee School. I teach there along with other leading consultants in the industry.

I would also recommend reading as many books as you can on opening a retail coffee business. Alot of this information is not something you can find in a college environment.

Good Luck!

BT

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Hi Lauren,

You should focus on retail business cirriculum to best prepare yourself for the challenges of starting a new coffee shop. You may also with to consider joining a member organization like the Specialty Coffee Association of America, which offers helpful materials and opportunities to exchange knowledge with others already in business.

To our knowledge, there are no accredited institutions offering an independent curriculum specific to starting and running a coffee shop, though some private businesses may attempt to mislead you otherwise.

With a strong entrepreneurial spirit and a healthy business acumen, the coffee industry specific information can be obtained from a number of sources.

Rockcreekcoffee

Dec 8, 2004
Billings, MT
Visit site
College Degree?

Lauren:

Don't let "not having a degree" hang you up on starting a coffee business. The first thing I would recommend is to join the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) and seek out information from lot of resources. Go to a coffee trade show and see what the industry is all about.

In regards to the American Barista & Coffee School that the Barista Trainer spoke about, I have attend the week long school.

It was money well spent in my opinion. I was one month away from opening my doors and I went. The first couple of days is the business side of the industry and the later part of the week is hands on training.

The nice thing about the school is that there are several different types of espresso machines to "play/train" on and see what is comfortable for you.

I would recommend the school closer to your seriousness in opening a coffeehouse. Many great companies sponsor the school and there is "no hidden agenda". They are not there to sell you anything. You receive excellent training and information. The class is small so you can ask alot of questions. Since the class is limited in size, the training is more personal to what your needs are. It is also a great way to network in the industry and meet others.

When checking into consulting companies, ask for references for the services they offer. They should be willing to give you names of clients they hawill most likely give you several names and call the reference and ask very tough questions.

Good Luck!!!

Rockcreekcoffee
Billings, MT

Polo

Jun 8, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
I also don't think a degree is absolutely necessary to have in order to open and run a coffee shop. There are things one needs to learn that are covered in a traditional business school like accounting and marketing for example. However the time spent obtaining a degree is not a waste by any means. There are a handfull of business schools that have degree tracks in entrepreneurship.

WajihSadad

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
It is said that until and unless, you dont have a MBA degree you wont be able to survive in UAE.
And now I've finally realized this. Searching for job for more then 3 months, I have decided to first complete my MBA degree. Untill then, I will be working in some menial firm. Otherwise, my dream of living in Abu Dhabi would only be a dream.

So, this is a personal and honest advice. DONT COME HERE UNLESS HAVE A POST GRADUATE DEGREE.
I have suffered :/ in the past few months.

And then the rest depends on you ;) !!

Last edited by a moderator:

dark_sun

Mar 22, 2019
Visit site
Friends, how do you think public education is successful for human development? Is it better to engage in self-education? and if so, how best to organize it? I am looking for some information for my friend from India about studying mbbs in Ukraine. Found some info here . I know that Ukrainian teachers and professors give European-level knowledge with practical experience but I want to get information from someone who can tell more details by experience.

Last edited:

Nerdani

Jul 14, 2019
Visit site
I believe that public education will play a large role as before, but gradually private education and self-study will crowd out these areas.
Absolutely agree with your position. The share of private education will return. Answering the title question, I can say that it is necessary to attend the courses on management, advertising and marketing. I've been trying so hard to make good ones but the result was always the same - teacher gives me bad mark and I really don't understant where is the problem. Maybe I just can't transfer my thoughts into good words, in a good way. So I decided to ask for professional help, just to see the difference and get high marks of course! If you have the same problem you can always find help on this best essay writing service. I don't know what would I do without this service.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Absolutely agree with your position. The share of private education will return. Answering the title question, I can say that it is necessary to attend the courses on management, advertising and marketing. I've been trying so hard to make good ones but the result was always the same - teacher gives me bad mark and I really don't understant where is the problem. Maybe I just can't transfer my thoughts into good words, in a good way. So I decided to ask for professional help, just to see the difference and get high marks of course! If you have the same problem you can always find help on this best essay writing service. I don't know what would I do without this service.

What you need is a professional (tutor) to teach you how to "transfer your thoughts into good words." Using an essay writing service to do the work for you will not help you in the end. You will still not be able to transfer your thoughts into good words. It's worth the effort to learn how to do it yourself.

krisbarkley

Mar 23, 2020
North Sumter
Visit site
Hello. I agree with PinkRose, but I also agree with the previous post. I am a K5 teacher, and I also have two children. At the moment, I not only use the services of this website, but I also want to provide distance learning services, as I believe that I have a good approach to children, students, and even graduates. I learn a lot about myself and my children and share my knowledge with others. Very comfortably.

EricLam

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
One of my favorite plays of all time! What is your question though? You said you needed help and you need to write an essay... So what do you need help with exactly?
Eric Website

TheCoffee

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
It's a great play to say the least. Those times were scary it;s just good that we've advanced through that stupidity, I hope you nailed the essay.

CecilFitzgerald

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I think college education is very important for three reasons.

1 - Obtaining a specialty that is impossible to learn on your own. And this is the only one hundred percent objective reason. Many specialties require higher education. For example, it is impossible to become a doctor or chemical engineer without a long specialized education. Higher education provides close control over the acquisition of skills and provides the basis for their practical development.

2 - Increase the overall level of erudition. First of all, higher education does not teach specialties, but where to find information and how to process it in order to learn the specialty independently. For example, if a student does not know how to write papers, then he/she can find information about what is needed and get help from professional writers who will help him/her write papers. The ability to find information is one of the key skills for successfully adapting to changing living conditions. Of course, you can learn this without colleges, but college provides a good opportunity to do this quickly and efficiently. If you want to learn how to study, college will help you with this. In addition, the college provides knowledge in general basic academic disciplines - psychology, philosophy, economic theory, sociology, law. A basic knowledge of these subjects in life can only help. At least for general development.

3- Smooth transition from childhood to adulthood. If the two previous reasons concern people of all ages, then this applies only to school graduates. Adult life is different from yesterday’s schoolchild. For many adolescents, the period of adaptation to a new status can be traumatic.

Last edited by a moderator: