Starting a Coffee Shop/Roastery ... questions/advice?

benisyoung

Mar 6, 2013
Fayetteville, AR
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

My name is Ben Young. I am currently working in the US Air Force, but am hoping to get out in a year or two and start a coffee shop of my own soon (haven't figured out where). I worked as a barista at a coffee shop in high school and have just become more and more fascinated with coffee over the last few years. Last year I started home roasting on a Fresh Roast SR500, but I am hoping to purchase a better roaster soon.

I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer, but then if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

My questions:

1. Since I currently home roast on a little Fresh Roast SR500, how much time do you think I need to spend roasting on a "real" roaster before trying to sell/serve that coffee or use it for the future shop?

2. Would you recommend that I go to barista or roaster training before opening the business?

3. How much money do you need to start a coffee shop? How do you figure out how much you would need and how much you would charge for your drinks? If I don't have that much saved up ... how would you go about raising capital?

Again, if you have any suggestions or words of wisdom for starting a coffee company I would love to hear them. Thank you very much!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hey Ben,

Here is my answer.

1 Go work for someone. Find a roaster who needs help. At least you have some knowledge and you might be able to find job at coffee house or local roasters. Roasting coffee on commercial roasters can be very intimidating and much different from home roaster.

2. Yes and yes... You should go both.

3. It really depends on what you are trying to do. It can cost from 15,000 - 1,500,000. You need to explore your ideas more to get specific answer.

My suggestions is for you to explore more what you want to do.
To anyone to answer your question is like teaching a new born child what banana is.

Here is what you need to know.

There are Roaster business to sell beans and coffee shop business you sell coffee.
If you are trying to do both, you need solid plan. Either of the business is not easy or simple. And it requires tons of money.

Good Luck