Coffee color analyzer needed

frei

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I run a small roastery and I need to improve my quality and consistency control. I have been looking for a usable and affordable color analyzer, something like Colorette and similar. Anyone have any advice on where to get something affordable for a small roastery? Anyone looking to sell one? And what brands are you guys using, yourself?
With regards, Frei

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk 4

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
What kind of roaster are you using? In our roastery, we analyze taste profiles at various roast levels in order to bring out the best a bean has to offer. Imo, consistency is easy to achieve on quality equipment. But it all starts with purchasing quality green beans. I view the color analyzers as just another (unnecessary) way to spend money.

frei

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Joper 15kg roaster. Using a color analyzer is the industry standard here, so it is necessary for me to take the investment sooner or later. I also use taste and roasting experience to determine roasting.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
How does it help with the final product? I can see how it can tell you what level you ended up at with a specific batch, but not sure how it would help with quality of roast or the ability to replicate.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
It is good if we have a little knowledge in chemistry to know how to apply color coffee analyzer. We don’t need to attend a regular study in school. It will take only two days seminar and you will learn the science of coffee. I heard about the Coffee Science Certificate program in United States. Try to inquire this so that you can explore the science and chemistry of coffee.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious as to how using a color analyzer can become the industry standard in a given area. Are the beans sold as meeting a specific color as measured by an analyzer?

frei

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
For example, we compare notes and procedures, tips, over large distances, so a question could be, "this is super nice, better then my samples from last month, what action value did you get?"

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Are there folks you are comparing notes with customers?

Where are you doing business, if I may ask?

To me, the proof is in the cup, not the action values.

frei

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Other roasters, all over northern Europe. One big happy family among specialty coffee roasters. So I really want a color analyzer, do you have any experience to share, or are you not using one?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't use one. We're in the Midwest of the US and the question has never come up with customers or even other roasters.

To be honest, I don't see a need for that technology but have been trying to learn more about the application in this thread.