Question: More Expensive to Roast and Serve Versus Just Doing One?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I was talking with a co-worker and he was saying that he thinks it would be more cost effective to be either a roaster or coffee shop but not both. He seems to think that doing both would cause there to be some extra costs that you wouldn't see if you were just a roaster or just owned a coffee shop. I think it would be cheaper to be the roaster of the beans used at your coffee shop since you cut out any mark-up that would come from the roaster.

Any thoughts/actual experience with this?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd be curious to hear more about those "extra costs" your co-worker thinks come into play.

Vertical integration, in this case means paying much less for fresh coffee beans, as a coffee shop and having a steady outlet for the beans of a roaster. There are also multiple revenue streams available to coffee shops roasting beans.

On the other hand, there would be increased start-up costs involved.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Only extra cost i would think would be the coffee roaster and the space you need to work out of. But I would agree it would not be good idea to be both if your only selling few pounds worth of coffee a day but if you are planning on selling or currently selling large amount of coffee, (25 pounds a day or more) it would be great idea to be both. I know very successful coffee houses who roast their own coffee. So it really depends on what your target market and business model.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, it depends on how big is your coffee shop. Just make your own evaluation if a roaster is really needed. Once you roast your beans, you need a big startup capital but in the long run if you can have many patrons in your shop, then you can have more earnings.