What is the process of sourcing coffee?

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
A buddy of mine is going to Guatemala over the holidays and is going to be checking out coffee coops in his area (where there are quite a few). He has the ability to go there frequently for business and was wondering what the process was to purchase whole sale coffee. Does anyone know the process you would go through to do this? I know it is complicated and the buying and shipping has got to be somewhat complicated, but, he was wanting to know how hard it would be to get something like this going? thanks!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Buying coffee is easy, selling it is another matter.

If your friend is having you check out forums for the details of the procedure, I'm guessing he would be getting in over his head on that busines venture.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Is your friend checking out the coffee coops over the holidays because he's seriously interested in purchasing wholesale coffee and distributing it here in the United States, or was that idea just an afterthought as he's preparing for his trip?

He may get some interesting information by talking to the coffee growers in Guatemala. Is he looking to start the process from Guatemala or from the United States?

Or..... since you've recently started roasting coffee, are you just looking for him to go over there, and buy some coffee, and bring it back for you?

Last edited:

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
His son did a big project on the economy of coffee in school (from farm to shop) and this was a trip planned a while ago. He (nor I ) have any aspirations of being coffee importers but he will have a day to check out the coops. His son wants to learn more of the details behind the busniness since he did the big project at school last semester. I have watched the videos on the coffee cuppings at the farms in Africa and have also wondered how it all comes together when a buyer decides to purchase a lot.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
That’s true. It is not easy to engage in coffee importing business if you are not acquainted with the process. Your buddy is right to check out coffee coops in the area. I believe that a coop has some expert of this kind of business. However, you can do your own research through the internet or directly to coffee source in Guatemala because farmers can have close contact to buyers. Also, they have some ideas on how to process coffee trading.

Latest posts